MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad
Default If you had $4000 to spend on a smoker, which one?

I've got a friend who's looking to buy a used Lang 84 deluxe for $4k. This one is located about 20 miles from where we are, so delivery fee is not an issue, but would need to be factored in otherwise. Before he spends the money, I'm interested in alternatives in the same size/price range (new or used). Preferably trailer mounted.

Thanks!
Chad
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

Do a comparison on the lang vs. meadow creek. You can google it, may give you an idea...
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

While I really enjoy my stickburner, many people find them to be too much of a hassle. Lang, from what I understand, is a high quality stickburner. Some folks prefer the ease of use of cabinet style smokers like Spicewine, Backwoods or Pitmaker.

How used is it? Looks like a new one goes for $4495.

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang84/lang84_deluxe.html
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

^^^ Yeah, $500+- difference for used vs. new; I'm thinking ride over and get the new one...

Closest thing to a Lang is manufactured in central Georgia, a few miles up the road from 'ya, by Bubba Grillls (www.bubbagrills.net). Very similar in design and a few dollars less than Lang's, everything being equal.

Otherwise, look at above mentioned, plus Stump's.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
...Otherwise, look at above mentioned, plus Stump's.
THAT'S the one I was trying to think of! I knew I left something out.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
While I really enjoy my stickburner, many people find them to be too much of a hassle. Lang, from what I understand, is a high quality stickburner. Some folks prefer the ease of use of cabinet style smokers like Spicewine, Backwoods or Pitmaker.

How used is it? Looks like a new one goes for $4495.

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang84/lang84_deluxe.html
Not sure how old it is. It's the newer squared off style. The firebox is fully covered with rust.

I've read that about the Lang's needing constant attention as well, which I'm not sure we'd be into. We've only ever cooked on UDS's and WSM's. I'm more partial to a cabinet smoker myself, but I'd need to compare size and all that before making a decision.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Lake Dogs

Size/capacity to dollar, it's going to be tough to beat an offset. However, if you dont need that capacity, then you dont need it... Stumps is manufactured 'round here as well....

Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
cpw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Size/capacity to dollar, it's going to be tough to beat an offset. However, if you dont need that capacity, then you dont need it... Stumps is manufactured 'round here as well....
I don't think he needs the capacity, it's more that he wants it...bigger is better and all that. I've seen bubba grills, but he doesn't list any prices on his site. There's also a guy in Waycross, GA that builds reverse flow smokers for much cheaper than the Lang's, but again, haven't seen them in person so I can't compare how the compare in quality.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Either a Lang or a Spicewine.

Wouldn't pay 4G for a used 84 tho.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Lake Dogs

I dont know of whom you're referring to in Waycross. Call Lonnie (of Bubba Grills); he'll get you the price. He may've stopped listing prices with the price of steel varying all over the place... Bubba's (Lonnie) are very good quality; worth at least taking a peek. Frankly, if he doesn't need all the size of a Lang 84, have him look at a MUCH less expensive 250R starts around $2600 I think. Almost any competition in the state you'll see both Lang's and Bubba's (and Stumps)...

Stumps is a cabinet type of smoker with set-it-and-forget-it options... However, you wouldn't want to leave these outside (like I do my Lang).

Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
cpw
Babbling Farker

Here's a craigslist link to the Waycross guy: http://brunswick.craigslist.org/for/2451196194.html. $1400 is the base model shown, and can add all the bells and whistles.

And I looked again at the Lang listing, it say's it's a year old.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
Lake Dogs

Ah yes, I remember seeing them from this guy. For me, personally, I wouldnt want to get that quality (or lack of) smoker, at any price. Just my personal opinion. Langs, Bubba's, etc. are built to competition quality (FYI: Lonnie won Memphis In May [Ribs] this year on his equipment); built to last. Strong trailers, good strong wheels, etc.
It's like comparing a new Ford/Chevy 4WD truck to a Yugo modified to have 4WD...

For that matter, I picked up my used Lang 1160 (which is an early model 84) for $1600 a few years back. I wouldnt swap with a new one from this guy for love nor money.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

In that price range I'd get a stumps stretch and pocket the extra cash. I'm lazy and don't like baby sitting the fire all night.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
cpw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
In that price range I'd get a stumps stretch and pocket the extra cash. I'm lazy and don't like baby sitting the fire all night.
I'm with you on that one. But I'd buy the stretch and get a trailer to go with it.

And Lakedogs, thanks for the head's up on the Waycross guy. Like I said, I've never seen them in person, just the craigslist postings.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/2011/...-lang-smokers/

Check out this link. I don't have a Lang nor a Meadow Creek smoker, but found it doing research. I would love to have either one.
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote