Who bags the best charcoal briquettes?

laveen1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
:crazy: To use my Weber Kettle for smoking means burning small amounts of raw, new, coal briquettes continuously to control the heat. Normally, coal gives off some bad fumes before it becomes a neutral, burning piece of matter. What is the best charcoal briquette for smoking?

I always use Kingsford Blue. Has a bad reputation but haven't personally figured out why. The ash is a pain but when it comes to cost nobody can compete. The burn when smoking is always consistent. When splurging Wicked Good Lump is awesome.

I've never had any problems with bad fumes from briquette using Kingsford or Stubb's and I use the minion method when I smoke.

most will use the minion method. but if yer really worried about it then use lump.

I always use Kingsford Blue. Has a bad reputation but haven't personally figured out why. The ash is a pain but when it comes to cost nobody can compete. The burn when smoking is always consistent. When splurging Wicked Good Lump is awesome.

ive always used kingsford blue with no troubles. would like to try the stubbs, but no lowes in my area.

Trader Joe's Natural Hardwood briquettes a.k.a. The Original Charcoal Company Ranchers Charcoal. It's seasonal at Trader Joe's so I stock up when available. Otherwise, I use Stubbs.

Doesn't the minion method and adding new briquettes pretty much do the same thing when it comes to heating up to neutral? The minion just means you don't have to open the lid to add more coals as often. I use both Stubbs (my favorite) and Kingsford Blue, never noticed any bad fumes.

I think that most folks are going the entire cook with a minion load. Most of the bad crap gets heated and burned out during the preheat before the meat gets on.

The issue is adding fresh KBB to a smoker that's already going. You'll get some bad smoke as the fresh KBB warms up and starts igniting.

Next time I smoke on the mini, I'll try and have a bag of Stubbs on hand, purely for refilling it during the last few hours of a smoke. KBB for the first load, since there's no worries if you let the smoker run for a while until there's sweet blue.

I can't believe nobody has waxed poetic about the merits of Cowboy Brand yet. :behindsofa:

You get a free fireworks display in every bag, plus I've got enough chunks of asphalt and concrete to pave my driveway. What more can you want? ... petrified mice and snakes? Yeah, got those too! :thumb:

Improves the calcium content of your foods, plus free jerky? That's the stuff!

The Trader Joe's stuff is actually pretty decent. Cooked a 15.5lb brisky this weekend on my BGE-
Put in 1/2 bag (and the bags are small), cooked at 235* for almost 17 hours...and after I put the fire out, there was still about 1/4 of what I started with remaining.

Not too much ash either.

And it's just charcoal with corn starch to hold it together. No other fillers.

My $0.02
Oh- did I mention...it's CHEAP?

Back