FEC100 advise

Man , I hear a lot about fires with the FEC100 . I do not know if I would own one and leave it unattended , especially when it is supposed to be a set and forget type of cooker...

I've cooked over 50 competition and countless backyard cooks in my FEC-100 without a fire. People tend to not post "I didn't have a fire today".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been one in the one I have , that why I have good drainage all the grease goes in a bucket or on the ground

I see what may have caused the fire in this particular case. Look at my markup of your picture below. You have the drip shield/deflector plate sitting where the white arrow shows. It should be on the lip where the black arrow shows. The way it is in the picture will not drain the grease off towards the channel that leads to the drip pan below.

To me it looks obvious where the fire originated. Look at the white at the bottom of the door around the area that Ron L points out in the pic. I agree with you Ron. Having cooked on FEC's for seceral years now, I understand these cookers. Also, having two of these burned up on me. I do agree that the drip pan is in a location that would have caused the pooling of renderred fat and allowed it to leak down to the ignition source and cause the burn.

But, also having said that, I have seen the pot overfill itself with pellets and then take fire, only to burn up the inside. This is what happened to mine both times. I had just put two butts in my FEC100(which was new). The butts were 36*F internal. I set the temp of the pit to 224*F at 12:30am. I went to bed only to be woke up from the smell of a burning gasket on the cooker at 2:00. The butts were charcoal. Someone explain that on. 1 1/2 hours to take two butts from 36* to crisp black charcoal? How about that circuit board having a issue maybe?

To me it looks obvious where the fire originated. Look at the white at the bottom of the door around the area that Ron L points out in the pic. I agree with you Ron. Having cooked on FEC's for seceral years now, I understand these cookers. Also, having two of these burned up on me. I do agree that the drip pan is in a location that would have caused the pooling of renderred fat and allowed it to leak down to the ignition source and cause the burn.

But, also having said that, I have seen the pot overfill itself with pellets and then take fire, only to burn up the inside. This is what happened to mine both times. I had just put two butts in my FEC100(which was new). The butts were 36*F internal. I set the temp of the pit to 224*F at 12:30am. I went to bed only to be woke up from the smell of a burning gasket on the cooker at 2:00. The butts were charcoal. Someone explain that on. 1 1/2 hours to take two butts from 36* to crisp black charcoal? How about that circuit board having a issue maybe?

That white is from the fire extinguisher, I opened the door and sprayed at the fire.

Galvanize metal if burn will give off a white powder, are there any galvanize part in one of those fec

Back