Thoughts on Compart Duroc pork?

Ciggy5

Reaction score
My family is having a gathering in a few weeks at my house, and I'm in the mood to spend a little extra cash to really WOW everyone this year.

I've seen this guy on YouTube talk about this expensive pork he uses for competitions called Compart Duroc, and it's expensive but it's not like some other meat distributors out there (Lobel's of New York for example). Anyone ever bought their stuff? Is it good? Again, I know it's for competition but like I said, I'm just looking to make a boom this year.

I have used the Compart ribs before. They are very good. But...I do not compete and just do not feel it is worth the price difference for good 'ol backyard BBQ. Give me some nice thick pork spares and I am just as happy.

I do upgrade to Prime when cooking briskets but just ones I can get from my local HEB grocery.

Duroc is an old fashioned hog breed. They are known for not having the fat breed out of them. I've had it before and thought it was pretty good. I looked at the web page and their prices are about what I'd expect for a premium pork.

Duroc is an old fashioned hog breed. They are known for not having the fat breed out of them. I've had it before and thought it was pretty good. I looked at the web page and their prices are about what I'd expect for a premium pork.

I agree totally. The heritage breeds do have more fat content.

I have found that I do better picking out larger spares (from larger hog). They tend to have more fat......you know, the stuff that makes stuff taste good. Lately, been getting Smithfield Prime spares for $1.84/lb.

Back