Signing up for Restaruant Depot

I thought they also need a letter from the business stating that you are authorized to purchase. Is that not so?

no not at the one I was at anyway.

they say all of that on their website, I think its just to discourage unauthorised people, I dont really know

Heres some RD pron. Had to take a pic!!

Last edited:
Restaurant Depot is so inconsistent. I do not have a business license (not required) but I do have a tax id. RD opened an account but when I tried to use my card, they insisted I bring a business license. I explained ad nauseum that a business license was not required and it did not matter; they wanted a business license so my account was cancelled. Fine! I joined KCBS and now I have a perpetual day pass. What I mean by that is once I got the day pass slip of paper, they just hand it back to me at the register. I can't wait for Phil to send me a BBQ Brethren card so I can get a permanent RD account ~ my slip of paper is getting a bit long in the tooth if you know what I mean. :biggrin1:

Restaurant Depot is so inconsistent. I do not have a business license (not required) but I do have a tax id. RD opened an account but when I tried to use my card, they insisted I bring a business license. I explained ad nauseum that a business license was not required and it did not matter; they wanted a business license so my account was cancelled. Fine! I joined KCBS and now I have a perpetual day pass. What I mean by that is once I got the day pass slip of paper, they just hand it back to me at the register. I can't wait for Phil to send me a BBQ Brethren card so I can get a permanent RD account ~ my slip of paper is getting a bit long in the tooth if you know what I mean. :biggrin1:

yeah, from what I have read you never know how they will handle it. Thi first time when I did not have the Tax ID doc, she gave me a 1 day pass anyway.

I did not know that there is Brethren card coming? whats going on with that?

I'm in California and own a non-food related small business. A Federal Tax ID and a Seller's Permit (Board of Equalization) issued by the state are two different things obviously. I would assume they need to see your Seller's Permit for verification as virtually anyone can get a Federal Tax ID, on-line, immediately, and that would be too easy.

I'm in California and own a non-food related small business. A Federal Tax ID and a Seller's Permit (Board of Equalization) issued by the state are two different things obviously. I would assume they need to see your Seller's Permit for verification as virtually anyone can get a Federal Tax ID, on-line, immediately, and that would be too easy.

I know.

All I gave them was a copy of the Federal form W-9 that my employer filled out that gives them thier EIN (employer ID Number), which is also the Tax ID. I had a biz licence, she did not even look at it. Said I did not need it

Also strange was she was supposed to copy my drivers licence. But their copier did not work, she told me just to stop by the desk next time I was in and they would copy it then. Did not seem concerned about that either.

there was also a form in the packet about buying tax exempt, which I am not doing. I am paying tax on everything, I still had to sign that form, she said it was just for thier records, even though I did not fill it out. Just signed it

I'm not a member of RD yet but what seems odd is that I can probably use my business Seller's Permit and and not pay sales tax (about 10%) for my RD purchases and that would be a significant savings. These purchases will obviously be for personal use and consumption.

I'm not a member of RD yet but what seems odd is that I can probably use my business Seller's Permit and and not pay sales tax (about 10%) for my RD purchases and that would be a significant savings. These purchases will obviously be for personal use and consumption.

If you want to avoid the sales tax then you have to fill out an exemption form stating that it is for resale purposes.

In Michigan anyway...

Can we get some clarification here :?:

There is a difference between an EIN (Employer Identification Number) issued by the I.R.S., and a state tax ID number, issued by the state. Since there is no Federal Sales Tax, at least not yet, I fail to see how an EIN could be used to exempt anyone from paying a state’s Sales Tax.

An EIN is pretty simple to get from www.irs.gov, but at least here in NC, all you have to do is fill out a form to get a “Sales Tax Number”. The stickler is that once you are issued a “Sales Tax Number” NC expects the sales tax forms/reports to be filed each month/quarter, even if no taxable sales were made.

So, is it an EIN that is required or a state Sales Tax Number (i.e. tax exempt number) :?:

Can we get some clarification here :?:

There is a difference between an EIN (Employer Identification Number) issued by the I.R.S., and a state tax ID number, issued by the state. Since there is no Federal Sales Tax, at least not yet, I fail to see how an EIN could be used to exempt anyone from paying a state’s Sales Tax.

An EIN is pretty simple to get from www.irs.gov, but at least here in NC, all you have to do is fill out a form to get a “Sales Tax Number”. The stickler is that once you are issued a “Sales Tax Number” NC expects the sales tax forms/reports to be filed each month/quarter, even if no taxable sales were made.

So, is it an EIN that is required or a state Sales Tax Number (i.e. tax exempt number) :?:

I never said that the EIN had anything to do with the state sales tax. Its for federal payroll tax, if I said or implied that I am sorry, it was a mistake on my part

All I am telling you is this is what it took to get me the membership.

I did not have to present any kind of sales licence.

Look up federal from W 9. The number on it is the federal tax number, or EIN (employer ID number)

thats what I have her. that should answer the questions. This was in Michigan, I have no idea if it applies to other RD's.

You will need to show them your business license and be an owner

Nope, that is incorrect in my case. You do not have to own a business to have a membership anyway

I work for a large corporation. I certainly dont own it. If I did I would not be worrying about a RD membership LOL

Perhaps I'll find out in the next coming days. I just registered on-line and will present them with my reseller's permit when I get there and see what happens. I don't see them asking for anything else beyond that.

Perhaps I'll find out in the next coming days. I just registered on-line and will present them with my reseller's permit when I get there and see what happens. I don't see them asking for anything else beyond that.

you will probably be fine

The impression I got is they are flexible on the specific documents. In my case, since I work for a large automotive parts supplier, and they are very common in my area, she probably asked for a doc which she knew I could produce. I explained to her that I wanted the membership for company parties and picnics, she said, "thats fine, it really doesn't matter"

They want you to join. thats how they make their money afterall...

or, maybe she just liked me. I am a hot, balding, beer belly 50 something LOL

it was kinda funny

after they let me in, which I wasnt really prepared for, I looked around and found a 12" slicing knife I have been wanting, for $10.39, the best price I found for it was about $16

So I took it up to the checkouts.

There were a lot of people there, all had carts jammed with cases of stuff, obviously restaurant owners

And here I am with my lonely knife.

Felt kinda dumb LOL

You will need to show them your business license and be an owner

Here again is the inconsistency ~ the lady at the Norcross store said I do not need to be the owner, only an authorized representative and I could use ANY business license.

thinking about this, I think the best thing is to just go and ask. My impression is that they want you to join, they want to figure out how you can join and drop a bunch of money there, which is what the are they for afterall...

If you want to join RD then it cant hurt to see what they want from you to join.

I know, sometimes its hard to get out of your comfort zone and put yourself out there

You have nothing to lose but a little time out of your day

its a very cool place!!!

I am very glad I did it

thanks

Last edited:
it was kinda funny

after they let me in, which I wasnt really prepared for, I looked around and found a 12" slicing knife I have been wanting, for $10.39, the best price I found for it was about $16

So I took it up to the checkouts.

There were a lot of people there, all had carts jammed with cases of stuff, obviously restaurant owners

And here I am with my lonely knife.

Felt kinda dumb LOL

But you were the one with the knife!

I am not sure if it is arrogance or stupidity when places like this refuse to take your money. Sam's Club was like this for years. :tsk:

Back