MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Default board election and spam emails

I just received this email, as well as 220 other members. The email addresses were only sent via CC and not BCC, so everyone will have or can get the email address of all 220 KCBS member that the email was sent to.... I replied with a nasty gram informing her that I thought it was against KCBS to use members email address to solicit votes, and that since I did not request any info, it was classified as such. Here is her email that was sent:

Happy New Year!
Hi my name is Barbara Milroy and I am running for the KCBS BOD this year.
I've Attached a letter to tell you a little bit about me and what I stand for.
I hope you will take a moment and look it over, and I would like to ask for your support.
I hope to see you at the Banquet in Philadelphia on Jan 16th.
Please come by and say hi, I love to visit with you.

What is your input on this....

thanks,
Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't believe that the KCBS gives our emails to anybody other than MMA for marketing purposes. My guess is Barb compiled a list from numerous emails flying around and that's how she got 220 addresses.

Also are you aware that the KCBS was hacked today so I'd be careful about any emails sent out.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Is there a possibility that you used your email address on a contest application? It may not be the member database that it came from. Not making excuses just want to be sure before making a decision.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have been emailing about 400 people regularly since early November. I've let them know that if they prefer not to receive my messages, I would be glad to remove their address. So far, I've had only two out of those request removal. KCBS doesn't say these kinds of emails can't be done by candidates. In fact, a few at KCBS receive my weekly message, athough they cannot voice support publicly for any candidate. KCBS will not give out an email list of members to anyone and they have no control over where addresses are gathered.

As for the BCC thing, except for my first email, I have used BCC... Until this morning. We were so busy getting ready for our New Years Day party that I forgot, got in a hurry and did not. I will always use BCC going forward.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
ov1
On the road to being a farker

I got one from Linda Mullane today too. Not sure if it is really from her or not.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
BBQ Grail

Not every unsolicited email is spam. Other than not using proper email ettiquette and putting everyone's email in the CC, I'm not sure what your issue is. I would want to hear from everyone running for Board.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I know Barb and I would give her the benefit of the doubt. I didn't receive that email so I suspect that if it was only sent to 220 people it certainly was not a list provided by KCBS, or gathered through them - or you would expect more people to be included.

Finally, Barb knows BBQ, no doubt, but it may be possible she is not as savvy about the difference between CC and BCC. I'd give her a break - and your vote! :)
Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
KuyasKitchen
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Not every unsolicited email is spam.
I agree here, entirely. As a member of KCBS, it should be no surprise for any member to receive messages from nominees.

The mistake is not using BCC. Politely inform her of her mistake and explain how this leads to more actual spam.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Equipment: Weber Kettle, Stainless GOSM,
Green Super-Fast Thermapen
Equipment Wish List: Smokehouse, Backyard Brick Pit with Lechon Spit
KuyasKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I have been emailing about 400 people regularly since early November. I've let them know that if they prefer not to receive my messages, I would be glad to remove their address. So far, I've had only two out of those request removal.
FYI, I would not be surprised if there are a lot more people on your list of 400 who do not appreciate your eMails. I'm not trying to make a personal attack on this, but it's a well understood process on the Internet that if some one offers you a chance to get out of an eMail which you consider to be SPAM, that you don't follow that process: If it really is SPAM, all you have done is confirm for the SPAMMER that your eMail address is valid and monitored.

Now if some one I knew and had a previous relationship sent me a form letter and offerred me a chance to get out of it, I might respond, but not if it was out of the blue. Just FYI...

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

I received both Barbara's and Linda's e-mails and have no problem with them. They both came to an e-mail account that is different than the one I gave to KCBS. It is probably from an organizer who has the "non-bbq" e-mail I once used for everything.

Both Barbara and Linda will be receiving my vote along with Jeff and Candy.

Benny

Last edited by Funtimebbq; 01-04-2010 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: grammer
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
FYI, I would not be surprised if there are a lot more people on your list of 400 who do not appreciate your eMails. I'm not trying to make a personal attack on this, but it's a well understood process on the Internet that if some one offers you a chance to get out of an eMail which you consider to be SPAM, that you don't follow that process: If it really is SPAM, all you have done is confirm for the SPAMMER that your eMail address is valid and monitored.

Now if some one I knew and had a previous relationship sent me a form letter and offerred me a chance to get out of it, I might respond, but not if it was out of the blue. Just FYI...

dmp
There's one difference here... I'm not a spammer and from the emails, it's obvious I'm not and that I'm a candidate for a position that most if not all of those on my email list have a vested interest. A request to be removed from a list that I've stated on emails and on my Web site will end in mid-January will obviously not put anyone in danger of receiving further emails. One other comment... if I DID have a relationship with each person on my email list, it would probably not really be necessary for them to go out in the first place as MOST of the people I've spoken with whom I know personally have said they'll be supporting my campaign.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Jeff how do you feel about if a board member did something without the approval of the board and got caught?

Organizing BBQ Contests Coast to Coast

www.arliequeevents.com
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #13
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

What would your hypothetical example be Brother Arlie?
Because we all know BoD members never do anything
without the approval of the other BoD members :)

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote