MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Looked Good

But I was disappointed. After 8 hours of not being able to keep the temp up, I wrapped the shoulder in fol and tossed it in the oven. It tasted good, but (in my mind) it doesn't qualify as "REAL" BBQ.

I have read up on what I need to do, up to and including throwing my smoker in the trash and building something better ~ which is in the works.

But in the interim, here's what I am cooking on and what I made.

~A whole boneless pig shoulder (a butt and a picnic roast)
~Some chicken for a mid day lunch.
~Poppers (jalepeno's w/cream chease, wrapped in bacon)
~Pig Shots (links wrapped w/bacon stuffed w/cream chease & topped w/brown sugar)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg getting started.jpg (46.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Smoking.jpg (44.6 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg done.jpg (49.9 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg waiting.jpg (49.8 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg chicken.jpg (51.8 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg round 2 -poppers.jpg (57.2 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg over done.jpg (46.4 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg pig shot.jpg (27.4 KB, 262 views)
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

That thing was pretty loaded, I can see having to fight temps.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That looks like some good food. I would consider it BBQ

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Chow looks good from here.

So does the pool.

Don't do the Jack Nicholson move in The Border...."Soups on!"

Old 10-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

are you trying to control the temp by using the stack vent ?
i would also use some drier vent to extend the inside stack down to the grate.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Bludawg

Looks like you overloaded the pit and restricted the flow good excuse to go bigger. Looks good to me, don't be so hard on your self.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Well I doubt I'll be the only one to say this but you are in need of a UDS.

The offset you got, or anything that looks like it, will never give you the ability to hold temps. Not without a lot of modifications and sealing and even maybe then.

Yeah its overloaded, the quality cabinets you see on here can handle that, the COS cannot.

My UDS will suffice but when I pull thee trigger on something it wont be cheap. It'll be good but quality is not cheap.

Just sayin

Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
barney jr
Full Fledged Farker

wow looks good to me.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Looks like your exhaust is almost completely closed. That's gonna reduce the draw, and also cause stale smoke to get backed up in the pit. If that's that case, I'd try to keep it fully open, or close to it.

On the cooker it appears to be an older model with slightly thicker metal than the newer COS models. The exhaust already looks like it's pretty close to grate level too. You should be able to make some great food in that thing with a little babysitting. Isn't that what they call a Char Broil Silver? They were supposed to be pretty decent cookers.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

I've finished plenty of Q off in the oven. No different than foiling it and putting it back on the smoker.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
are you trying to control the temp by using the stack vent ?
i would also use some drier vent to extend the inside stack down to the grate.
I used both the intake on the off set box as well as the stack vent.

I plan on extending the stack down to the grate.

What I REALLY need to do is build a "charcoal box". As it is now, I can't put enough charcoal to get the temp high enough.

It also appears I need to put a shelf under neath the grates as well as build a "deflector shield" somehow because the temps next to the fire box are much higher then the opposite side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Looks like you overloaded the pit and restricted the flow good excuse to go bigger. Looks good to me, don't be so hard on your self.
Thanks, over all it tasted great. I just want it to be better. The bar has been set pretty high around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakers View Post
Well I doubt I'll be the only one to say this but you are in need of a UDS.

The offset you got, or anything that looks like it, will never give you the ability to hold temps. Not without a lot of modifications and sealing and even maybe then.

Yeah its overloaded, the quality cabinets you see on here can handle that, the COS cannot.

My UDS will suffice but when I pull thee trigger on something it wont be cheap. It'll be good but quality is not cheap.

Just sayin
I agree and just picked up a Webber 22" on CL. I got a line on a drum, but I'm gonna hvae to wait for work to slow down a bit. Having said that, this thing works great as a grill. Tri-tips seared and then moved over to be finished by indirect heat. It will stay, but I need something better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Looks like your exhaust is almost completely closed. That's gonna reduce the draw, and also cause stale smoke to get backed up in the pit. If that's that case, I'd try to keep it fully open, or close to it.

On the cooker it appears to be an older model with slightly thicker metal than the newer COS models. The exhaust already looks like it's pretty close to grate level too. You should be able to make some great food in that thing with a little babysitting. Isn't that what they call a Char Broil Silver? They were supposed to be pretty decent cookers.
I forget what it's called. I bought it about 7 years ago and it works well. But I am ready to step it up. I had no idea how far off my temp gage was until I bought a nice digital one. Like I said, I'm gonna keep it, tweek it a little bit, build a UDS and then get something bigger & badder!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
I used both the intake on the off set box as well as the stack vent. That's probably not a good idea. Stack should be wide open and use the intake as your control.

I plan on extending the stack down to the grate. That will help.

What I REALLY need to do is build a "charcoal box". As it is now, I can't put enough charcoal to get the temp high enough. A basket will definitely help. You can also start with a charcoal fire and add sticks as you need. A small hot fire is the key to a smaller offset like that. Well, that has been my experience.

It also appears I need to put a shelf under neath the grates as well as build a "deflector shield" somehow because the temps next to the fire box are much higher then the opposite side. 13" x 6" x 1/4" steel tuning plates helped my Cimmaron run much more even.

You're not the first guy to finish butts in the oven.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
You're not the first guy to finish butts in the oven.
Or the last. There's nothing wrong with and no shame in that.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Get some chunks of wood in there with the charcoal. It will heat up. I would start with a basket full of charcoal and then just added wood as I went along. I also use the minion method.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Boshizzle

Thanks from: --->