MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
japhy
Found some matches.

Default UDS build questions

Hi, all. This site is amazing, and has convinced me that I should build a UDS. Here's where I'm at (and it's not very far, but still. Gotta start somewhere, right?).

I have a drum with a tan liner in it. It looks like paint, but I don't want to spend 2 days trying to get it out by burning and wirewheeling, so I will probably pay the $50 to get it sandblasted (that's actually the cheapest I've found around here--ouch).

The questions I have now are:
-Do I need to do a burn after it's blasted, or can I just season it at that point?
-The EMT locknuts they have at HD look like they may be galvanized. They don't say one way or another. Has anyone found a source for non-galvanized locknuts for the 3/4 pipe?
-The valve I got has a plastic washer in it (it's a gas shutoff valve). Is that ok? I'm not planning on using the 90 and extension, just putting the ball valve on the end of the 3/4 close.

I'm sure there will be more later. Thanks so much for all of your help.
japhy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
JamieK
On the road to being a farker

Hey Japhy,

There is no need to burnout your drum after it has been Sandblasted, you just need to season it.

I was able to find SS lock nuts at Home depot here in Canada, they were in the Electrial Section.

Take your value back to Home Depot and exchange it for a Ball value without the plastic, I did the same thing and bought the one with a Plastic washer and it is for Contecting to PVC for basic plumbing not for gas, The one with out the plastic washer is actual cheaper and is for Gas llines, ad should be on the same shelf somewhere.

Looking forward to Pics of your Build.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
chunkylatinlover
Knows what a fatty is.

I would only burn it out depending on what it had inside to begin with. If it was syrup, honey or something like that I wouldn't bother. I don't have any locknuts on my nipples I just threaded them through but I've read a lot of guy on here mention the nipples and ball valve don't get hot enough to be of any concern, you should be all right. If anyone needs any stainless hardware you should check out boltdepot.com they have everything you need in SS and they are cheap.
chunkylatinlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Blast it & Build it read to cook them lock nuts are not a concern nor is the valve there isn't enough heat there to warrant any changes in the hardware. I can hold my hand on the side of my drum at basket level and even if it was to get hot enough to burn off the zinc plating( that is what galvanizing is) once you completed a seasoning run it would be toast. Fire purifies everything.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
SmittyJonz

Just scrub it after sandblasting then spray n season

Gas valves are half the port size of full port ball valves-

Most can only find galvanized or zinc conduit nuts and used them . I used zinc- I heard vinegar reduces or removes zinc coating but I don't know for sure. All my other hardware is stainless except for the pipe nipples were raw. Only side effects I've seen is an extra 46 lbs of BBQ Belly.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

Tags
uds, uds build