MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #151
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
The point was very tender, the probe slid right in and out like butter. The flat was not tender however, I had to stick the probe in and it had some decent resistance. So I put the lid back on and checked it again in an hour. It still wasn't quite ready so I waited another hour, then it was done and tender in both the flat and the point. So this packer took 12 hours at 250 to get done.

QUESTION ABOUT THE ABOVE:
IS there a concern about drying out the point, while you waited another two hours for the flat?
Thanks and thanks for this awesome tutorial.
I just saw this question or the first time.

I've never had a dry point cooking this way. The moisture in brisket is truly more from the gelatin and fat, and the point is just swimming in this stuff. Heck, in fact, after that two extra hours that the point cooked, I then chopped that point up for burnt ends and cooked it another 4 hours. They were still not dry even though the point meat cooked for 6 hours after it became tender. Don't ever try that with the flat though. The flat would become very dry and even burnt.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #152
altomari8868
On the road to being a farker

What can you say other than THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are what makes this site great........
altomari8868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #153
coolguywalt
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Awesome tutorial! I can't wait to finish my UDS now!
coolguywalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #154
BIG ALAN
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you BIGABYTE! Just in time for tomorrow's first full packer!
BIG ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #155
eugeque
Got rid of the matchlight.

I followed this tutorial two weeks in a row. The first attempt was a 6.5 pound pre-seasoned super-trimmed packer. It went cold into the smoker fat-side up at 250 for almost 10 hours and until both the point and flat were "tender". The idea was to smoke it 1.5 hours per pound.

The brisket turned out overcooked and dry due to the fat-side being up. Taste was good so it got turned into chopped beef and chili. And I got a good idea on how to treat a brisket in the BGE.

The second was a 10 pound untrimmed packer. I let it come to room temp overnight before applying a simple dry rub consisting of homemade garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and fresh-ground pepper. Went into the smoker fat side down.

I tested it at 6 hours just for giggles and big surprise! It wasn't done! Then at 10. The flat wasn't quite there. Another hour and it was ready. So a total of 11 hours in the BGE and it came out PERFECT!

Not to toot my own horn overmuch but this is the absolute best brisket I've ever had including anything available locally. Sorry Rudy's...

Thanks and kudos to bigabyte for the remarkable and simple tutorial. Brisket made easy.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #156
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by altomari8868 View Post
What can you say other than THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are what makes this site great........
I agree 100%.

The site is VERY lucky to have Chris. He really knows his stuff.

And... he's a darn good guy, too!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #157
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeque View Post
I followed this tutorial two weeks in a row. The first attempt was a 6.5 pound pre-seasoned super-trimmed packer. It went cold into the smoker fat-side up at 250 for almost 10 hours and until both the point and flat were "tender". The idea was to smoke it 1.5 hours per pound.

The brisket turned out overcooked and dry due to the fat-side being up. Taste was good so it got turned into chopped beef and chili. And I got a good idea on how to treat a brisket in the BGE.

The second was a 10 pound untrimmed packer. I let it come to room temp overnight before applying a simple dry rub consisting of homemade garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and fresh-ground pepper. Went into the smoker fat side down.

I tested it at 6 hours just for giggles and big surprise! It wasn't done! Then at 10. The flat wasn't quite there. Another hour and it was ready. So a total of 11 hours in the BGE and it came out PERFECT!

Not to toot my own horn overmuch but this is the absolute best brisket I've ever had including anything available locally. Sorry Rudy's...

Thanks and kudos to bigabyte for the remarkable and simple tutorial. Brisket made easy.
Each person has their own belief on which way the fat side should go, but I am convinced it works best as a heat shield. If your heat comes from below (like in a BGE), then I cook fat side down. If the heat comes from above (like in an offset because the heat goes to the top of the cooker and flows out to the stack) then the fat side goes up. Not everyone agrees with that though, and as long as they can turn out good brisket with their method, that's all that matters.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the brisket.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #158
Shifty1
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow thanks! A ton of great info.
Shifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #159
Steve.OR
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default I am Cooking a brisket today

Following the very detailed and informative tutorial. I am using a Large BGE with a new addition a BBQGuru DigiQ DX controller . I just started this 2 hours ago and am very excited to do the first probe in 8 more hours.
Weber Gasser 2000
Steve.OR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #160
wormdrink67
On the road to being a farker

wish I'd seen this sooner....great info. thanks.
wormdrink67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #161
InfamousDX
Found some matches.

Thank you for the wonderful info! This help me make sense out of my first ever packer brisket... and it turned out wonderfully.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #162
bb0bbby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Over 2 years ago this was posted & it is still the best info available on the World Wide Web!

Kudos & Thank You So Very Much !!!
I'm going to try to get one this weekend.

Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #163
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Is it against the rules to make a PDF of this thread?
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #164
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Is it against the rules to make a PDF of this thread?
You have my permission as creator of the thread (you should give proper credit too), but you will also need permission from Phil since he owns the forum.

Honestly though, I don't know if you have to ask permission since that is kind of like printing the thread...you can print to a PDF file with a printer driver that does so...

Duh.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #165
gtr

who was that masked man pig thingee?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
brisket, brisket tutorial, How to cook the perfect brisket