MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #16
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

I use briquettes in my SS1 because everytime I have tried lump I get bridges. Those of you using lump, do you break it up as you load the chute or is there some trick I'm missing? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #17
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

I use royal oak lump or humphrys lump, you will get longer burns out of briquettes but its a gravity fed so who cares?

to me if i am going to smell something cooking for hours i love real lump, the smell along with whatever is cooking gets my vote, very little ash, and if i have some in the shoot when i am done, i just leave it in there until i start it up again, if i do that with briquettes they swell from moisture, and can jam.

i dont really have any issues with jams, from lump i used to break up bigger pieces, but now i have a bar for clearing them, i can tell if its not keeping temp to run it up and down the shoot and in 15 min all is fine.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #18
pbarber
Got Wood.

Royal Oak lump. Low ash.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #19
JABonk
On the road to being a farker

My 2 cents.
I use RO lump because it is available locally to me. It's ok but not my favorite.
IMO Wicked Good burns the cleanest and lasts the longest, but not much "smoke flavor."
Good One - better than RO, decent burn time and decent smoke.
My favorite = B&B oak lump. Good burn time and by far the best smoke taste IMHO.