MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
smokinjerseyguy
Got Wood.

Question First Chuckie Question

Just looking for a little guidance; doing my first Chuckie tomorrow in my WSM and i have seen cooking times all over the map(4 hours to 14 hours). My chuckie is 4.5 pounds and it will be the only thing I am cooking on the WSM tomorrow. I plan on putting it in a tin with some beer and other goodness when it hits 165 and putting it back on. Any suggestions for a ball park on what would be a good general range of time to shoot for? I know there are a lot of factors but just curious for some insight. Any other advice would be welcomed as well! Thanks!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Biggest factor will be how much collagen needs broke down. I'd guess three hours for smoke, then cube up in inch chunks and put in the pan with liquid, put a lid on it then. Take it to the point that it shreds easy(195*-200*), prolly 3-4hrs.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Big Biscuit
On the road to being a farker

Do I smell pepper stout beef on the horizon?

Old 04-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Kiss it with smoke for a couple hours then toss in pan with yer beer and other goodness and braise away. It's done when it's done, but at 4.5lbs I'd guess no more than 5-6 hours@ 275+ temps.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

At 275 I'd say 4-6 hours. If you're panning with beer it will hold forever in an oven.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check this out. I promise you will be glad you did. I don't do a lot of foiling, but chuck is one thing that I do foil.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
smokinjerseyguy
Got Wood.

Thanks gentlemen... As always your guidance is greatly appreciated! And thanks GTR for the link... I will definitely take a look at that. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again and have a great weekend!