Frozen, Rubbed Brisket Flat

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I had a small flat I'd rubbed and injected at the last contest I did in late October that we didn't have space to cook it. We brought it home and stuck it in the freezer. It's been in that zip lock 2 gallon bag since. I'm assuming that freezing AFTER rubbing won't hurt it at all when I decide to thaw it out and throw it on the WSM. Would there be any different way I'd want to handle it once I thaw it and get ready to cook it? Will it need more rub? Will what's on it be diminished or will it be TOO seasoned and not be very good?

Jeff,

I think it will be just fine as is as long as there is no freezer burn.

If you concerned about diminished flavor, just give a quick light dusting with some fresh rub.

Jeff,

Like Vinny said, I would thaw it, sprinkle a little more rub on it and cook it as normal.

I would venture to say your frozen brisket will taste better than the original, unfrozen ones.. freezing\f meats ends to tenderize them a bit .. please let us know how it turned out

I would'nt do a thing to it. The pre-seasoning freeze caused all the spice and injection to contract/penetrate into the meat as it froze...as it thaws the meat will again "soak" even more spice into the meat as it thaws.
You could do a comparison...froze w/ spice vs. rubbed w/ spice on same day and cook them both at the same time and then you will see what the effect of pre-season and freeze does in relation to just pre-season and cook.

I just found a brisket flat in the freezer and steamed it in the bag in a fry pan of water till warmed through. That worked great and didn't over cook the meat. If you store your food in Food Saver pouches they are boil in bags so that works great too.

Well it figures that the farking bitter cold temps we've had around here keeping me from Qing are going to give way to nice 50's and 60's for the weekend and of course I'll be in Michigan where there'll likely be a couple of feet of lake effect snot and cold, howling winds! Hey Neil, what's the weather supposed to be up your way for real this weekend?

Back