MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Hey, we want some...PouTine!!

Wanted to come up with something for the "For Love of the Gravy" throwdown.

Maybe it's because I spend a few days a week working in Bellingham, WA...just a stone's throw from the border with Canada. But, my thought was poutine...French fries, topped with GRAVY and cheese curds (don't ask...not really sure what this is. All I know is that it's little chunks o' cheese, and it tastes good).

Knew I was gonna need some beef broth for this cook. So I started by making my own. Hunks of beef from the butcher, onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, peppercorns, and Stone Brewing Smoked Porter...

Into the DO in the mini over some hickory wood. Left it there while the kids had soccer practice, gymnastics and dress rehersal for a musical...not sure how long this was in real time, but seemed like an eternity in dad-time.

Strained the broth and set aside until it was needed (we put the veggies in a blender to make a kind of a paste that can be used to thicken gravies, flavor soups etc. Good stuff).

Needed some fries next. Broke out the potato cutter and some northwest-grown potatoes.

Soaked the cut potatoes/fries in water for a couple hours. Dried them, and (I must admit) fried them inside the house.

While they were cooking. Figured they needed something to go along side. Burgers!!

Gave the patties a short blast of smoke in the mini, maybe 15 minutes over some hickory smoke. Then switched to a cast iron pan on the grate, directly over the coals.

When burger was done, I added a couple tablespoons of butter and flour to skillet. Then added some of the beef stock. Brought it all to a quick boil and removed from the heat.

Decided to build the "poutine burger" by combining the fries and the burger...served with some more fries on the side, and some Firestone Walker Wookey Jack (one of my favorite brews)...

Was pretty tasty. Gravy was a little "dark" but tasted amazing!! Love making home made fries with the cutter. Burgers, fries and Wookey Jack...definitely had me some quality poutine!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks freakin awesome! Not too dark at all. Some of the best gravies ive had were dark and rich just like that. Pan sauces rule.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great! Never heard of poutine?? Not what I was expecting. I was thinking more alomg the lines of " wang dang sweet....." something or another. I forgot the rest of the song
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

I just drooled down my chin.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I want that for breakfast, looks bloody beautiful

Old 10-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Wow! I love poutine.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Great lookin' burger & fries there!

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Mighty fine looking burger there, and the gravy looks and sounds amazing!

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Top shelf/would hit!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
southpaw_1979
On the road to being a farker

Mmmmm Poutine. It's gotta be cheese curds to make it real poutine.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Dang fine!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Love poutine! I thought about making poutine for the gravy throwdown but not a poutine burger! Great idea!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Great cook FMBBQ!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Absolutely perfect!!!!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Bravo!!
Very creative, Loooove fries on a burger with gravy!!
A contender for sure.
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote