• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Shoulder - How Long Can I let it rest

Oldyote

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm about 15 hours into a shoulder smoke and I'd guess maybe around an hour left before it hits 200. We are waiting for a friend to arrive. I'm wondering how long can I let it rest before I should pull it, and should I put it in a cooler while I'm waiting?

Double wrap in HD foil and then place in a cooler. Many people wrap in old towels. Personally, I use a moving blanket to take up the extra space in the cooler. Some also preheat the cooler with boiling water. I have never had to do this though. Also, I have let pork rest for 5-6 hours before and it is still too hot to handle when I took it out.

Double wrap in HD foil and then place in a cooler. Many people wrap in old towels. Personally, I use a moving blanket to take up the extra space in the cooler. Some also preheat the cooler with boiling water. I have never had to do this though. Also, I have let pork rest for 5-6 hours before and it is still too hot to handle when I took it out.

I agree. I've let it rest 5 hours and it was still too hot to handle.

I like to wrap in a couple layers of saran and then into a small cooler and cover with some old towels. It will hold this way for a good 4-5 hours.

A good cooler will hold for a LOOOOOOOONG time.
Last year, I helped out at chambersuac's charity cook and we had a coffin cooler FULL of butts (24 total) and after a good 7 hours, the ones that were still left were still showing 160-170 on the thermopen.

No worries man. Cooler that sucka!

I have used one of those Omaha Steak coolers. Double foil, wrap in old towels. With a late smoke finish have left it overnight & still plenty hot in the AM. With dry ice those coolers keep meat frozen for days. Also works the other way, keeping things hot.

I have used one of those Omaha Steak coolers. Double foil, wrap in old towels. With a late smoke finish have left it overnight & still plenty hot in the AM. With dry ice those coolers keep meat frozen for days. Also works the other way, keeping things hot.

DING DING DING!!!

I forgot a couple of butts in one for over 8 hours. Still too hot to handle when I took them out.

Back