First High Heat Butts

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Giving high heat butts a whirl. After reading some posts I'm running 225 for about the first hour then up to 300 and see how it goes. I have fat side down.

Cooking for a friends party. I love trying new things for an event :crazy:. They are both 7.5lbs so we shall see how quickly they cook. There isn't a definitive eating time so I have a pretty good buffer if they take longer, but I'm shooting for 6-7hrs.

Also gonna throw on 20lbs of chicken quarters in a bit and then pull the meat for sandwiches.

2011-06-25_08-46-53_421.jpg

I did high heat the last butts that I did. They only took about 6 hrs, and were very good. The next time I do butts I'm doing one high heat, and one low and slow. I will take them to work, and do a blind taste test. good luck.

I did high heat the last butts that I did. They only took about 6 hrs, and were very good. The next time I do butts I'm doing one high heat, and one low and slow. I will take them to work, and do a blind taste test. good luck.

Thanks. What temp did you use?

I just did 4 butts that way yesterday. 250F for the first hour with hickory. 350F after that. Three butts finished @ 205F internal @ 7 hours & one stubborn one @ 8 hours. All four were a tad over 9 lbs. ea. I'm definitely doing butts this way from now on. I can't tell any difference from 225-250F low & slow. YMMV Cheers!!!

Here are the butts when they hit 150ish. Foiling and threw back on and up to 350. They actually finished in about 6hrs and looked about the same as smoking at a lower temp. I'll have the final pics when i pull them at the party. They are resting now. They got done even faster than I thought. About 3.5hrs before we will eat. Next time I may give 300 a whirl.

2011-06-25_12-42-00_771.jpg

Here is the chicken which took about an hour. Pulled it and then chopped it up.

2011-06-25_12-54-45_528.jpg

So here it is finished. I didn't get a shot of it all pulled, sorry.

The verdict........Awesome!! I may never go back to low and slow on butts if they all turn out this way. It was just as tender and easy to pull apart as any other. Just as much smoke as any other. It's like a whole new world.

Now after I got super exited I realized they won't all be cooked this way in the future as if I cook ribs or things that I like to cook at a lower temp then I will have to do them at the same temp. But I do have 2 smokers so.......

2011-06-25_17-59-50_983.jpg

Back