BBQ Sauce for Mopping and Dipping

earthling30

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Man, oh Man,
I found a BBQ sauce that I like. Found the original here: http://www.barbecueweb.com/sauces_marinades_&_rubs/barbeque_sauce_mopping_and_dipping.html

I tweaked it to my liking.

Recipe:
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cups Apple Juice
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
4 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Garlic/Pepper Powder
Chopped Sweat Onion
2 tbs. Favorite Hot Pepper Sauce to taste
2 tbs. powder chili mix
1/4 cup brewed favorite coffee

Combine all ingredients and then simmer in a pan along side your beef, pork, or chicken on the grill. Use for both mopping and dipping barbeque sauce. I've also found you can simmer this on the stove top. Simmer it down to thickness of your liking. I personally leave it little runny so it want burn as easy.

I let my meat marinade with yellow prepared mustard and a dry rub before placing it on the grill.

Baby Back Smoke

Hi there,

I am very interested in your mop, one question, would you use it when smoking baby back ribs and how often?

I have a Weber performer and I'm planning on making three (3) slabs for this weekend and I'm going to use the Smokenator for the first time for them.

I can't get a wsm or bds yet so I opted for the Smokenator, had very may good write ups.

Well, just need some guidence for the ribs, and anything else you might suggest, Thanks!:oops:

Hi there,

I am very interested in your mop, one question, would you use it when smoking baby back ribs and how often?

I have a Weber performer and I'm planning on making three (3) slabs for this weekend and I'm going to use the Smokenator for the first time for them.

I can't get a wsm or bds yet so I opted for the Smokenator, had very may good write ups.

Well, just need some guidence for the ribs, and anything else you might suggest, Thanks!:oops:
I’ve personally never cooked baby backs, only spare ribs.

I’ve recently started using the 3-2-1 method as suggested on here, I think or maybe some other website, but anyway. If I haven’t made it ahead of time of the stove top, I’ll make a fresh batch and place it on the hot end of my smoker to allow it to simmer and generate steam the whole time while cooking the ribs. During the first 3 hours I’ll spray the ribs down with apple cider vinegar about every 30 minutes to an hour (depending on if they are starting to look dry or not). When I wrap my ribs in foil I’ll spray them down with the apple vinegar and mop them down real good with this sauce. When I take them out of the foil for the last hour I’ll spray them down with more apple cider. By this time the sauce should be getting thick. During the last 20 minutes I’ll mop them down with the sauce.

Some of the pros on here may tell you different and have a far better method than what I described, but this method so far is working for me. I’m still learning the do’s and don’ts of my new smoker. I hope it turns out good for you.

Thanks Earthling30, I will use your suggestios as a starting point.

Interesting, yet simple looking sauce. I bet it was good. I would have added Nugrape instead of the coffee:biggrin:

By the way, what is "chili mix"?

Interesting, yet simple looking sauce. I bet it was good. I would have added Nugrape instead of the coffee:biggrin:

By the way, what is "chili mix"?
The chili mix is just a standard pack of chili seasoning mix. I guess you can probably use chili powder instead, the chili mix pack was just what I had at home at that time.

Back