MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #3436
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

I just finished building my first UDS and am ready to try it out. I grill steaks on a gas grill but I haven't done a low and slow cook before. Can someone give me an idea of how long to cook ribs, butt, brisket and chicken halves in this thing? Not all at once ofcourse but I thought I would like to try ribs today, maybe a butt or shoulder tomorrow and maybe brisket or some chicken this weekend. Thanks
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #3437
manicmndy
Found some matches.

Babyboomerboy

Here is a link that might help.
Don

http://www.wyntk.us/food/smoking-tim...eratures.shtml
manicmndy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #3438
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Baby always for the most part you need to cook to final (meat) temp. Except for the ribs. Do a search. Ribs need to have a nice bend to them and do the tear method. That is if they tear away from the bone easily there done. Don't do the fall off the bone thing unless that is the way you and your guests like them. Brisket, pork and chicken all have to be done to a certain temp. Good luck and post pics for us all.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #3439
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just wanted to post some pics of a pretty cool pit I saw last weekend at a Backyard BBQ comp I participated in.

Here is Chico and his 900lb, 1/2" thick direct heat cooker.

He said it has a cast iron baffle below the cook grates and a damper intake on the bottom. I almost busted a nut lifting the
door!

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #3440
obnepec
Found some matches.

Default questions

Posted this on the other list but seems like more people are on this thread. Thanks for any info!

Wow, this is a great thread for building one of these smokers. I have looked around and found a local place selling used food grade barrels relatively cheaply but A) I live in a neighborhood where I have seen a neighbor ding'd by the hoa for having a shed top peaking out over their fence so doing a major burnout isn't really an option and B) considering me and my family are going to be eating food out of this I would like to have a barrel that I know what has been in it previously. So I saw in your thread that you ordered your barrel new from mcmaster. I have a location relatively near where I work and was looking at the 20 guage 55 gallon drum part number 4115T68. This is an uncoated (on the inside) new steel drum which should work. Anyone have any problems with this one I should know about? Secondly it has normal black paint on the outside. Since I can't really do a good burnout what would you suggest on this? I can always try to hit it with my sander but seems like alot of work. Is it needed to do this? I could not tell if you were using the standard paint that came with the drum or if you sanded/repainted. Third is I had an idea for adding functionality to this and wanted to see what everyone here though. Right now I have a gas smoker and a gas grill. I really like the taste of charcoal grilling though. So what I was thinking was add another "grill level" about 2 inches inside the top of the barrel and then if I want to grill out put my charcoal on the top of the 1st normal grate down (about 6" so about 4" from the food grate I am putting in so I could use the upper section as a charcoal grill. Any objections to doing that? Fourth from the comments about finding just the right height for the grill racks. What I was planning was to have 5-6" from the lid and work down from there. From cad drawings it looks like I should be able to get 3-4 racks in although I also want to have a wood chip holder suspended above the coals and a water pan above that. Would having the water pan help to alleviate some of the concern about how far the lowest level of food is from the coals? If I can get 4 22.5" racks in there then that give me ALOT of cook space. Also thinking of adding extra level holes that I could blank off if not needed for when doing ribs to allow for even more rack space. Any comments on this?
One more thing I was looking at. As I don't have access to welding equipment but I really like the roller you have on it had an idea and wanted to see what you thought. What I was thinking was, instead of welding the pieces to the bottom of the barrel, make the X with castors attached at the edges and then drill 4 holes through the material holding the castors and drill holes through the bottom of the barrel and then bolt the castor X to the bottom of the barrel. Probably not as sturdy as welding but with washers/nuts on all sides so its not focusing the force on a small area of the bottom I think it would work. Any comments?

Obnepec
obnepec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #3441
twisterbret
On the road to being a farker

Hey all

This thread is crazy long ..to find my answer. I just bought some expanded metal to extend my Backwoods Party firebox. I just went 4 inches higher then the standard box. I fastened it together with some rods that I had to bend with tools. It's really too thick to work with. So I just put it together enough for a cook to see how it works.

What's everyone using to fasten their expanded metal? Any pics?

Thanks!!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #3442
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nuts, bolts, wire, zip ties and welding are the choices of most people here.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #3443
twisterbret
On the road to being a farker

I had a ton of bolts let over when I was adding casters. They work great with a washer on each side. That will do it. Thanks guys!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #3444
Bbq Bubba

Does anybody know where i can find some instructions to make one of them drum smoker thingys?

All i'm seeing here is 1000 pages of the same questions asked over and over.....
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #3445
Meat Burner

No Bubba, this is the first I have heard of this UDS thing. Searching the past threads doesn't seem to be an option for some reason. It is exciting when someone makes the decision to go for it, so I try to help where I can. It really is exciting when someone discovers how easy and fun it is to get real BBQ. I still don't get the 3/2/1 on a UDS at least, unless you like ribs through a straw. Know what you mean bro.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #3446
Bbq Bubba

Ribs thru a straw.......good one!
#detroitporkmafia

Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #3447
Meat Burner

Hey Bubba, how do you compare your 85 gal UDS to the 55 gal? I cannot find one around here but sure looks like it would be pretty cool. Did you build it basically the same?

NB Bandera with mods
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ

Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #3448
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Hey OB,
Here are some pics of my UDG (ugly drum grill).
I think it would be easy to convert back and forth from grill to smoker, but I liked building these so I have one of each.

The floor is from a donor lid. I did not want to build up a drum full of ash so I used a ashpan from a cheapo kettle clone. The lid is the bottom of a donor drum with the outside of a donor lid welded on, gives me some heighth. You could just move everything down a bit and use a flat lid just as easily.

As for the new drum and it's black paint, on your seasoning burn if you want to repaint just crank it up with the lid off and you will be able to easily sand the original paint off. The original paint will probably hold okay if you smoke only and keep the temp under control, but that won't work if you use it as a grill.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02564.jpg (49.3 KB, 1187 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02539.jpg (52.3 KB, 1183 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02692.jpg (32.0 KB, 1181 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02541.jpg (49.1 KB, 1175 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02538.jpg (82.5 KB, 1177 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03537.jpg (39.1 KB, 1177 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #3449
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
Hey Bubba, how do you compare your 85 gal UDS to the 55 gal? I cannot find one around here but sure looks like it would be pretty cool. Did you build it basically the same?
Same build, 85 runs even smoother than it's little brother. 250 at center grate all day long!
If you can find one, build it!
#detroitporkmafia

Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #3450
Meat Burner

Thanks Bubba. Really want to find an 85 as I am absolutely sold on the flavor from these bad boys. Reminds me of all the great times growing up on camp fire cooking flavor. Wish me luck bro!

NB Bandera with mods
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker