MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Rub N Smoke
Got Wood.

Welcome to The Bretheren Karen! You may want to find the sanctioning body in your area and start with a small comp. just to get your feet wet!! Good Luck!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Check out My Pics at:[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][URL="http://www.myspace.com/cookinwitalittlespit"]www.myspace.com/cookinwitalittlespit[/URL][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Homemade Trailered pit w/ Pitts and Spitts Gauges[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Brinkmann 4675 Stainless Pro- Series Gas Grill[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]My 4 year old Daughters E-Z Bake Oven (only for Emergencies)[/COLOR][/FONT]
Rub N Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome Sis Karen! The complete 2007 KCBS schedule is out yet, but follow this link to kind of give you an idea of what has been scheduled in your area so far......... http://www.kcbs.us/MonthlyContestLis...t_calendar.jsp

Rub N Smoke has a good suggestion in trying to find a smaller contest for your first one to enter, or go and visit one at least before jumping in. Springfield usually has Rock N' Ribs at Bass Pro in April, but that is a fairly expensive contest to enter. Joplin always has a nice contest as well, with very decent payouts. My biggest tip to you before hand.....practice, practice, practice! The key is getting at least one brisket, one pork butt, a couple of slabs of rib and some chicken pieces done for 30 minute turn in windows, starting usually at 12 noon.

Good luck and we're here for you.....you know, we all had to start out as a newbie at a contest ourselves!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Hi Karen... welcome to the Brethren! I hope to get to meet you eventually. "lunchmeat" is headed further west this coming year so you never know....

keep smokin' and we'll see you out there...
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Chick'n Pig BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome Karen,
I have added the KCBS rules link below. Read over the rules and read as many post on this site as possible. Ask lots of questions and do not be afraid to go out their and compete. It is a blast!!!!!!!!!!

Skip

http://www.kcbs.us/kcbs_bbq_contest_rules_2007.jsp
Custom Spicewine Thurmanator
Custom Spicewine Smoker Trailer
Spicewine medium Smoker
Weber Blue Performance grill (Slammin Sammy's)
Weber Ranch Kettle Grill
Chick'n Pig BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Ladies and Gentlemem,
Let me clarify!

Karen posted this in Comp!
new to this all
Hi I am Karen I am 36 I live in springfield Mo. I have been told by family and friends I need to Smoke food for others. So i would love to get in to doing a few contest in my state close to springfield mo.
Like I said I am so very new to all of this. I have been smoking food for years but just for family members and friends. where do I start on the low leval and go from there.
You can email me at
[email protected]
Thank you
Karen

She recieved a lot of the standard "Brethren Welcome" responses and some Comp advice.
I have spoken with her.

I have split the Welcomes to Cattle Call and left the useful Comp responses here.

She will now get the full Brethren Welcome in Cattle Call and the full benefit of the Comp advice here!

Thanks and let the advice roll!

TIM

Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
wishinfishin
Knows what a fatty is.

First, I would say to cook outside your house without going into the house to get stuff. If you find you need something out of the house, write it down as a forgotten item. Make a list each time you cllok outside of the things you needed and didnt bring with you. In other words, pretend like your at a remote location and plan on being there overnight. Once you can completely cook all your items (Brisket, Pork Butts, chicken, ribs) along with all the garnish ( or not) and presenttion items, you will be better prepared to cook in a SMALL comp. Keep in mind you will need water, shelter, flashlights or lights, a power source if no power is supplied...etc etc. I know if you do a search here on the forum for "comp items to bring" you will be able to see a list of the minimal items. The items I've mentioned are just a few.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000]Pit by Jambo (Jamie Geer) 5'x25" mfg date 2005.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
wishinfishin is offline   Reply With Quote