MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
This question comes up all the time on the forum. From my experience on the forum, asking the brethren what cooker to buy is like asking what car to buy on a car forum. There are so many good ones out there.

I would pick one, or maybe a couple out, and ask the brethren their experiences with those units. Find out the pros and cons of of those particular units.

Check out the suggestions on here, narrow your options, then run those options by the brethren. IMO, you will get more usable information.

CD
I agree with Casey Dog here, everyone loves the smokers they have and they all feel their smoker is best, mainly because it suits their needs well. People are individuals and needs change from person to person like anything else.

My suggestion to you is to figure out what you need, not what you think you want.

Start by deciding what you wish to use for fuel, do you want a stick burner that may require a lot of attention, or a well insulated charcoal cooker that can burn all night on an eight pound load of lump charcoal. Consider and calculate your fuel costs then move on to other needs.

After that you can decide size, adjustable shelving, vertical or horizontal, reverse flow, and so on....

The last thing I want to do is try to persuade you to purchase something just because I like my unit. Here is the reasoning on how and why I chose my smoker that I recently purchased... How I chose my smoker Maybe some of this selection process can help you find your needs?

Also added was to the fact was that it was a $1000.00 cheaper than another unit of similar design I was considering.

These can be purchased on a cart or with castors.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

I own the one johnnyp posted. After some slight mods and some practice I'm really satisfied with it. You can now get a warmer box over the fire box still under your 3 large mark i believe.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
JohnnyP
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleonard81 View Post
I own the one johnnyp posted. After some slight mods and some practice I'm really satisfied with it. You can now get a warmer box over the fire box still under your 3 large mark i believe.
I found some youtube videos if anyone is interested.

JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #19
CarterK
On the road to being a farker

Mike - I've been thinking about heading down to Georgia to look at one of those. Do you mind sharing what mods you are talking about? Thanks.
CarterK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
TheBourbonBear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
[QUOTE=JohnnyP;2537191]I found some youtube videos if anyone is interested.

How do y'all like these units? He's practically in my backyard and I have been considering getting one of these as a starter trailer-cooker. Any pros/cons that you've unveiled after some cooks? TIA

Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

My advice is to buy the biggest smoker you can afford. I am partial to my Lang, and still think that he has the best bang for the buck. Mine is 8 years old, and still runs and looks like new.

Good luck!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #22
pbarber
Got Wood.

I too bought an Assassin. mine is the #28 and I love it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #23
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

A Spicewine .....Turns out a great product and unbelievable build quality.... A solid cooker..

Old 07-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #24
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

All i did was add another intake to the bottom of the door. One of the 2 intakes they have is USELESS!!! The top one acts like an exhaust not an intake. I did this because like the guy says on the video said 18 square in exhaust is WAY to small. There was a thread a month or so ago about these cookers. Everyone else hacked off their exhaust and put a 5 sq inch exhaust closest to the fire box (I'm guessing the builder seen that post because now he got rid of the useless exhaust on the end of the smoker and got a bigger exhaust closer to the fire box) That exhaust the farthest away is pointless on a reverse flow!! Like I said the other intake I installed fixed it mostly but I have the small exhaust. Now the thing cooks like a champ! So if you get the new one you shouldn't have a problem that I can see.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #25
SC_Dave

Quote:
All i did was add another intake to the bottom of the door. One of the 2 intakes they have is USELESS!!! The top one acts like an exhaust not an intake. I did this because like the guy says on the video said 18 square in exhaust is WAY to small. There was a thread a month or so ago about these cookers. Everyone else hacked off their exhaust and put a 5 sq inch exhaust closest to the fire box (I'm guessing the builder seen that post because now he got rid of the useless exhaust on the end of the smoker and got a bigger exhaust closer to the fire box) That exhaust the farthest away is pointless on a reverse flow!! Like I said the other intake I installed fixed it mostly but I have the small exhaust. Now the thing cooks like a champ! So if you get the new one you shouldn't have a problem that I can see.
I don't know which cooker you're talking about. ????
SC_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #26
JohnnyP
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
I don't know which cooker you're talking about. ????
This is the thread where the problem was discussed.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=157905
JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
SC_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
This is the thread where the problem was discussed.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=157905
Ahhh, ok thanks johnny!
SC_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #28
SHERIFF
Got Wood.

+1 for the Pitmaker Safe.
SHERIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
ChiefBrock
Knows what a fatty is.

I would go with the TS120 from Meadow Creek in that price range....hell of a cooker for the price with high quality material from ground up.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #30
WhiskeyPigBbq
Knows what a fatty is.

+2 for the Pimaker Safe. I got mine before the ball valve option and had a hell of a time with it, but after I retrofitted a 3/4" ball valve intake I have absolutely loved my Pitmaker. I cooked a 14 lbs. brisket yesterday at 305 in about 7 hours. I used hardly any charcoal and the temp stuck at 305 the entire day. There are some other really good smokers out their at that price point, but I would definitely buy another Pitmaker if I had it all to do over.