MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #136
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
I was looking this morning on their website looking for info and some auto chat box came up asking if I needed help. Told him what I was looking for and the customer support chat guy named "Kevin" said they must be new cause he never heard of it Needless to say he told me to look at the Big Easy
Sounds like you were at the Char-Broil website and not the Char-Griller site

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #137
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickkva View Post
I noticed that yesterday. Very strange to not have any information on this unit on the web site.
They obviously don't spend much on their website. Seriously, it's like the Presiden't secretary's nephew did the thing for class credit for ITT. Of all the major grill builders, they have the worst website by a very long shot. Char-Broil is taking it to a whole other level with their All-Stars made up of bloggers from around the world showing off what they do on Char-Broil grills. The reason I'm so familiar with it is that I am a Char-Broil All-Star and while I own two of them, this is my next grill. The Char-Broil infrared grills are absolutely amazing, but this is my next charcoal grill. Any chance Lowe's will sell two packs of lump next Memorial Day for $10!?!
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #138
lola
Knows what a fatty is.

I have had my Chargriller Kamado for about 7 months now, got it at Gander Mountain and really love it. It is outside under an overhang and is covered when not in use. So far no signs of any rust or paint blister. Chargriller customer support is very elusive on this product, about all they were saying is that it was an exclusive for Menards and had no comment when I asked about the Lowes rumor that obviously was try. Overall a great unit for the price and all I did was put some thin cork gasket material under the frame of the lower air intake to make a better seal where it was screwed onto the side. Took care of the only air leak I could find.
Thanks JM for reinforcing what I have been saying about the Big Red Kamado, even though mine came in black!!!
lola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #139
bel4_20
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola View Post
I have had my Chargriller Kamado for about 7 months now, got it at Gander Mountain and really love it. It is outside under an overhang and is covered when not in use. So far no signs of any rust or paint blister. Chargriller customer support is very elusive on this product, about all they were saying is that it was an exclusive for Menards and had no comment when I asked about the Lowes rumor that obviously was try. Overall a great unit for the price and all I did was put some thin cork gasket material under the frame of the lower air intake to make a better seal where it was screwed onto the side. Took care of the only air leak I could find.
Thanks JM for reinforcing what I have been saying about the Big Red Kamado, even though mine came in black!!!
Do you happen to have any pictures of this you can post? I own the Broil King Keg and it is the best thing ever! im looking at this unit for a second kamodo as i cannot afford another Keg the char griller would be a perfect fit.
bel4_20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #140
pigout sc
On the road to being a farker

You did a super job on the videos. Looks like you are going to make alot of good Q with that smoker. I checked it out today and really like the engineering. I still kind of want an egg but for the price and cast iron grates looks like a bargain.
pigout sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #141
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I did a little bit of air sealing yesterday on the ash pan and lower air vent to see if I can improve the airflow into this cooker. Upon closer inspection of the air vent after removing it from the pan, I found several sources of probable airflow issues. I used some high temp rtv silicone around the vent and a few other places to see if I can better control it. If those mods are successful, as I believe they will be, I'll post some photos of what I did....
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #142
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Excellent JM. Picked mine up yesterday. May try and do the seasoning on it tonight. I also did pick up the Weber Charcoal grate and a 16 inch clay saucer for a heat diffuser. The Kamado itself went together very nicely. Took me just about and hour to put it all together. Can not wait to fire it up.

[FONT=Arial Black]Of everything I have lost in this life...I miss my mind the most![/FONT]

Last edited by zwylde1; 03-07-2012 at 12:08 PM..
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #143
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwylde1 View Post
Excellent JM. Picked mine up yesterday. May try and do the seasoning on it tonight. I also did pick up the Weber Charcoal grate and a 16 inch clay saucer for a heat deflector. The Kamado itself went together very nicely. Took me just about and hour to put it all together. Can not wait to fire it up.
Post some photos!
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #144
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I did a little bit of air sealing yesterday on the ash pan and lower air vent to see if I can improve the airflow into this cooker. Upon closer inspection of the air vent after removing it from the pan, I found several sources of probable airflow issues. I used some high temp rtv silicone around the vent and a few other places to see if I can better control it. If those mods are successful, as I believe they will be, I'll post some photos of what I did....
Glad you were able to find those areas, sealing them up is going to help quite a bit. A small leak of air around the vent area is killer on a cooker like this. Can't wait to see the pics.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #145
lola
Knows what a fatty is.

Default It now has a name

Went over to lowes to pick up the cover for my Chargriller Kamado and they have new advertising signs up around it, and the cover has a Chargriller trademark along with the name they gave their kooker. The salesman told me they are now told to call it the "akorn" cooker. That is also the name on the cover logo and all of the new advertising signs. It's a pretty big acorn, but than again the BGE came from a really big chicken. "Now you know the rest of the story, and good night !!!"
lola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #146
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

New job making more money. Check
In need of a Kamado grill. Check
Gave up buying myself anything for Lent
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #147
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I don't even have one yet and I'm already working on some mods for it. First I was thinking of making an adapter ring to set a WSM water pan above the coals for the heat diffuser. JM do you think there is room for the water pan? Here is a basic drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acorn diffuser.jpg (42.1 KB, 555 views)

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #148
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola View Post
Went over to lowes to pick up the cover for my Chargriller Kamado and they have new advertising signs up around it, and the cover has a Chargriller trademark along with the name they gave their kooker. The salesman told me they are now told to call it the "akorn" cooker. That is also the name on the cover logo and all of the new advertising signs. It's a pretty big acorn, but than again the BGE came from a really big chicken. "Now you know the rest of the story, and good night !!!"
I always thought that the Big Green Egg should have been called the Big Green Avacado.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #149
Rys06TBSS
On the road to being a farker

The ash pan is peppered with holes around the welds. At least mine is. I took high temp silicone and sealed all of them up. Did they make the front vent any better or is it still really loose?
Rys06TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #150
bel4_20
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Glad you were able to find those areas, sealing them up is going to help quite a bit. A small leak of air around the vent area is killer on a cooker like this. Can't wait to see the pics.

Yes true enough JS-TX having some experience with the kamodo BBQ (my broil king keg) it worried me that you had the bottom vent all the way closed in your video and held that temp for so long JM, which is telling me that air is indeed getting in. I will tell you my Keg is sealed up like fort knox and if i shut my vent down like that it will pretty much begin to snuff out. So look for those holes seal them up and you should be good to go! like I said im will be getting the char griller as my "second" kamodo cant wait to have both going at once!
bel4_20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado