UDS Help ?

fball1208

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just got a drum that contained Apple Juice. I has a tan Liner(see pic) any easy ways you all have found to remove this liner?

Thanks

Attachments

• drum.jpg
    drum.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 237
Well I'm having a tough time as well. Used a can of epoxy stripper which helped a little bit and I currently have the barrel loaded with scrap wood waiting to do a burn out. I think to get the liner fully removed you need to burn it out and then grind or sand the crap out of it. If you can find a sandblaster go that route; some guy local quoted me $200 lmao. good luck

Full it with some decent sized splits to get a good burn out fire but not so full that it smolders. Also build a fire around it with scrap wood, burn baby burn. Most if not all of the liner should burn out. Repaint the outside and proceed to Cookin great Q.

I hit mine with a rosebud and burned it all off and followed up with a wire wheel. It wasn't difficult, but it was a pain. The next 4 I built I had sand blasted which was totally worth it.

"some guy local quoted me $200 lmao."

Make some calls, I found a powder coat place that charges me $20 for a blast & burn. I also make him a couple racks of ribs. Now he wants one.

I too would like to know how many people have just left it.im thinking that with the lower cooking temps it may not be a big deal

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

If you do a search, you will find arguments both ways. Personally, I wasn't gonna worry too much about what was left after a few hours of this:

5146A374-53A8-4F1D-B6BE-CF1CF4B6380F-53602-00001BDEDBD0266E.jpg

I'm relatively certain that fire was a little hotter than 250 - 350 degrees.

Well think im going to do a good burn out and see what happens, if it doesnt come off after a good burn it can stay.

Remember to cut your intake holes first. If you really want to TurboCharge the fire, hook up a small shop-vac up in reverse. It's pretty impressive once it kicks in.

14FB16CD-C661-4E06-A919-A35BA2CDD746-53602-00001BDEE8630607.jpg

A big fire got the job done for my tan lilner. I was going to wire wheel the rest but really there was no paint left to wheel. Make sure that fire is blowing and you are good to go.

Break apart 2 pallets & burn 'em. I know a few folks with lined UDSs and that worked for them.
That shop vac idea is great, too.

I just did a couple of them that had the tan liner. Had been used once for hydraulic fluid. Burnt from the outside with my Harbor Freight weed burner and then pressure washed the powder off the inside and ground out the remaining.

I just did a couple of them that had the tan liner. Had been used once for hydraulic fluid. Burnt from the outside with my Harbor Freight weed burner and then pressure washed the powder off the inside and ground out the remaining.

Did mine the same way. I wouldn't want to make em this way for a living but burning out the occasional drum by this method isn't too much trouble.

Theres a guy local to me that is making drum smokers and is leaving the red liner in them and selling them on craigslist....

Yikes. No thanks. I just built one with a barrel that had the red liner in it. After reading the Mother of All UDS Threads, I decided to burn it and wire wheel it out - not going to risk the fumes as my pregnant wife and 4 year old son love the que I make. I used left over wood from the shop teacher here at school, and had a HOT long fire going, and still had to do about 8 hours of wire wheel work. Next time, I'll spend the extra 30 bucks to get a no-liner clean reconditioned drum from a company in the south 'burbs. My opinion - burn it out, and don't buy UDS from a guy who is willing to give his customers a drum with a liner in it.

Back