question on packaging meats by the pound

nachos4life

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hi All,
As a favor to some family and friends I am providing a number of people with pork and brisket by the lb on Christmas eve for their dinners or parties, etc... They'll be picking up from me in the afternoon.

My plan is to have the butts and briskets resting for a couple hours before they pick up in a cambro and cooler.

I planned to break down and pull the butts at the last minute. not sure when I planned on slicing, if at all, the brisket... everyone is getting 3lbs min.

questions:

- when they pick up, should I just package in a covered foil pan or is there a better method to maintain quality? wrap in butcher paper? freezer bag? (I have a couple people who are picking up for later which I planned to quick chill and vac seal for them but most will be eating that evening.)

- for those taking multiple lbs of brisket, would you slice it all up or just give a hunk of the brisket with instructions on how to slice? Want to prevent drying out. When catering, etc, I usually fill up half pans with slices in a strained au jus bath in a chafing dish.

any other thoughts? I just want to make sure my fam doesn't end up with dried out bulk meat.

Thanks!

Your plan for the pork is good. Just in 1/2 pans with plenty of juice. Very easy for them to reheat and serve. Might give those getting vac'ed meat a pan to use. Same with the brisket but sliced. How many have no idea on how to slice meat correctly? They could turn perfect brisket into jerky if done wrong. Plenty of juice is crucial.

Back