BGE Gasket Melted My Egg Lid Shut!!!

jtfisher63

is one Smokin' Farker
Yeah, I'm cooking some ribeyes for my Dads birthday Trex style when it happened. I noticed when I went to pull the steaks off after the intial 90 per side cook the gasket was melted and looked like stringy black silocone.I was like WTF? I've heard of gaskets melting, but not like this. So I shut the lid and shut it down to try to get it down to 400* so I can finish cooking the steaks. After 20 minutes I go outside to check the temp and add some smoke wood. I try to open the lid and it's glued shut! I yanked the F'r, but it wouldn't budge. Embarrased, I had to finish the steaks on my Dads gasser!:mad: The steaks still were pretty good, but not the same. So now I have to figure out how to get the lid up on this bastige. I'm hoping that tomorrow, by chance the lid will open. If not what do you guys think I should do to try to get it open? Or should I contact BGE and see what they say? My plan as of right now is the see if I can get a razor blade in and cut away enough gasket so I can get a hack saw blade in there. What ya guys think? Thanks in advance.

If you bought it new, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer, as their support is reportedly really good if you are the original owner. Once you get it open, you may want to consider the Rutland gasket mod--see the Naked Whiz site for more info. I had some early problems with my BGE original felt gasket and replaced it with the Rutland, which has been great ever since.

ah, man, that sux!

when i sear at 700, i don't leave the egg there for long and sear with the dome open, then shut it down and get to 400 and watch for that flashback when you open it

try to wedge a putty knife in there and work your way around. don't pry too hard by twisting the knife or you might crack the ceramic. sometime getting it hot again helps. drop some firestarters in or from underneath to light the remaining lump

Like Rick said, a putty knife around the edge will get it back open.

Then replace it with a Rutland gasket. :cool:

Re-lite your lump through the draft door at the bottom; get the temp back up to sear temps 700+ and the lid should open. Don't close the lid, just let the fire burn itself out. Once the egg cools then follow the directions on the Naked Whiz. How old was your egg?

Bootleg BBQ
Evans, GA

Well, I just got my egg home and busted the lid loose by using a putty knive. I only had to clear about an inch and a half before the lid opened. The gasket is obviously wasted. I'm going to replace it with a rutland as described by Naked Whiz. Anyone have a good online source for the gasket kit?

Bootleg, my egg is about 9 months old, but has seen many high heat cooks.

many people cook without gaskets with success.

i don't know what it is about those gaskets, maybe i've just been lucky, but i've never toasted one

check the mating surfaces of the base to the dome, sometime there is a gap and that lets hot gasses though the gasket.

Back