Savannah, GA - Where to stay

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife and i will be in Savannah for a weekend in mid January. Any recommendations on where to say? Either specific hotels/inns or an area of the city?

Last year I stayed at the Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District @ 201 E Bay St Savannah, it was in an excellent location a short walk to most places of interest to tourists

There are many hotels on Bay Street from where you can walk to just about everything. St John's Episcopal Church is worth visiting if you get the chance.

There are no less than 1 million hotel rooms in the downtown area :). Anywhere north of Liberty street is going to be a good area to stay, if you want to be in the heart of things look at Bay Street and city market areas.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything specific.

Last year I stayed at the Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District @ 201 E Bay St Savannah, it was in an excellent location a short walk to most places of interest to tourists

Thanks! That was on my list just because it is a Hilton property

There are many hotels on Bay Street from where you can walk to just about everything. St John's Episcopal Church is worth visiting if you get the chance.

Thanks!

There are no less than 1 million hotel rooms in the downtown area :). Anywhere north of Liberty street is going to be a good area to stay, if you want to be in the heart of things look at Bay Street and city market areas.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything specific.

Thanks! I found out about the number of hotel options :) Too many choices are not necessarily a good thing :-D

Four years ago we stayed at the Elizah Thompson house. I'm guessing the determining factors were cost, having a large room for two adults and two kids, and being a bed and breakfast in a historic house rather than a chain hotel room. I recall it being quite pleasant.

https://www.elizathompsonhouse.com/

Thanks! Looks like an interesting place. I’m torn between an historic B&B or an Airbnb in an historic house.

Thanks! Looks like an interesting place. I’m torn between an historic B&B or an Airbnb in an historic house.

Probably a good choice. When we were there the convention was at the hotel we stayed at and the room and convention were free to us so ….. All of the meals were provided so we really didn't get out much except for an afternoon down the river front which was very "touristy"!

Should add the best meal we had by far was at Alligator Soul. Shrimp and grits were by far the best I've ever had anywhere -- I was never a fan until I had them there, and I've been ordering them ever since, although I haven't had any in their league. The other food was outstanding also.

Any kid friendly things to do in Savannah? It’s actually the only place on my list to visit since I moved to Georgia. That and Lewis Barbecue in SC.

I’m not sure about kids since ours is turning 30 in a few days :shock: but hopefully someone can help.

We ended up booking at the Foley House Inn. It has good reviews, an interesting history and was a good price.

https://www.foleyinn.com/

Any decent BBQ in Savannah or on Hilton Head?

Any kid friendly things to do in Savannah? It’s actually the only place on my list to visit since I moved to Georgia. That and Lewis Barbecue in SC.

There's a halfway decent children's museum, but a lot of it is outdoors so that's weather dependent. There's a huge park with a decent playground in it as well, and of course there's always the beach.

Any decent BBQ in Savannah or on Hilton Head?

My favorite is probably Sandfly BBQ. They have a location downtown(ish) in an old diner car. 2nd is B's Cracklin BBQ on the southside.

Back