MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #31
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

Technically Cure#1 is specified in terms of parts per million. Parts per million calculations to me are a little bit dangerous because if you screw up you are off by a few decimal places. I calculate my cure#1 as 0.25% by mass just like sleebus.jones for sausage. Also that specification is by max allowable by the FDA. How much do you need to still be effective? I have no idea. I haven't seen that anywhere. So in all honesty, slightly under isn't the end of the world. Like dward51 I also use a bulk scale and a fine measurement scale.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #32
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
Also that specification is by max allowable by the FDA. How much do you need to still be effective? I have no idea.
Yeah, that's weird, eh? The USDA does not have any position on minimum ingoing nitrite, just maximum. I suppose that's because everything will eventually spoil, given enough time, no matter how much cure you used...unless the Water Activity is too low to support any microbiological growth.

At least cure #1 is pretty common at the 6.25% strength. Cure #2 I've found to be all over the place, which means when you are doing long-duration air dried charcuterie, you have to recalculate your recipe to match the correct PPM of ingoing nitrite for the cure you're doing.

Doing cured meats is not for the faint of heart or those who don't pay attention to details. You can make you and your family sick, and worse case you can end up with deadly results.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #33
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

I'm just now getting back to this. What is the recommended soak time for the hog casing?

Thanks,

Matt
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #34
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Posted by Bludawg
Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks AKA: Jeff Wheeler
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...11&postcount=3

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Morton's Tender Quick
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer
and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meat
to fit in the grinder.
Pour the spiced beer over the meat and mix well.
Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate
and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings.
Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in
a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy.

Texas Red-Hot Beef Sausages

1-1/2 tablespoons fine sea or Kosher salt
1-1/2 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1-1/2 teaspoons chile powder
3 to 4 pounds beef chuck, very cold
1/3 cup ice water
1-1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
20 feet large or medium hog casings

These sausages should be hot-smoked until cooked through (to an internal temperature of 148°F. If you’re not equipped to hot-smoke, they are also fantastic poached or gently grilled.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #35
ArnieTex
Full Fledged Farker

I know it says venison but this stuff works really well with beef and pork, really really good.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #36
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Yeah, that's weird, eh? The USDA does not have any position on minimum ingoing nitrite, just maximum. I suppose that's because everything will eventually spoil, given enough time, no matter how much cure you used...unless the Water Activity is too low to support any microbiological growth.

At least cure #1 is pretty common at the 6.25% strength. Cure #2 I've found to be all over the place, which means when you are doing long-duration air dried charcuterie, you have to recalculate your recipe to match the correct PPM of ingoing nitrite for the cure you're doing.

Doing cured meats is not for the faint of heart or those who don't pay attention to details. You can make you and your family sick, and worse case you can end up with deadly results.
Sorry, you're right. It is the USDA. I've read their various publications on this many times. I agree that it's not for the faint of heart. I get really nervous when I see people asking about tenderquick/cure#1 substitutions.

mcyork28,
If you get a chance, give my recipe a shot. Cut the herbs and bump up the cayenne and you're pretty much at a Texas Hot Gut sausage. I got the recipe from an interview that Daniel Vaughn did with Evan Leroy and made some tweaks. I've ordered the fresh beef sausage from Southside Market in Elgin and mine is pretty damn close. It's meant to be cooked on the pit with brisket or whatever you want. I've gotta try Sleebus.jones's recipe. It looks excellent!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #37
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Thanks,

Dustin Dorsey,

Do you have a link to your recipe? Sleebus.Jones recipe came out really well but I would like to experiment a bit.

Matt

mcyork28,
If you get a chance, give my recipe a shot. Cut the herbs and bump up the cayenne and you're pretty much at a Texas Hot Gut sausage. I got the recipe from an interview that Daniel Vaughn did with Evan Leroy and made some tweaks. I've ordered the fresh beef sausage from Southside Market in Elgin and mine is pretty damn close. It's meant to be cooked on the pit with brisket or whatever you want. I've gotta try Sleebus.jones's recipe. It looks excellent![/QUOTE]
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #38
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

I post it earlier in the thread. Here it is again:

Here's my take on it.

66% chuck roast
22% pork shoulder
11% brisket fat

Then everything else is calculated as a percentage of that combined meat and fat weight.. Other ingredients were
10% Water
1.5% Kosher salt
1.5% Tallicherry Pepper
0.25% cure #1 (neccessary for slow smoking but I think it adds to the flavor)
0.05% cayenne pepper
0.05% marjoram (completely optional)
0.025% sage (completely optional)

I added the herbs just to give it something extra. More traditional would be to leave those out. This recipe is designed to be hot smoked. It holds up from 225 to 275, but I'm sure 350 would be ok. I season the meat and let it sit overnight to cure. Then I use a coarse grind. Then I add the water and mix by hand until tacky and stuff in natural hog casings.

Basically, if you use a 3 lb chuck roast and 1 lb of pork shoulder then 1/2 pound of brisket fat (the hard stuff is fine) then you've got the right ratio, but I use what I have. Sometimes, I use the leftover trimmings of pork ribs if I turned some spares into St. Louis cut. If you aggressively trim you briskets you could use those trimmings for the beef instead of the chuck. I put tallicherry pepper in the recipe but honestly just some store bought coarse ground black pepper is fine. You might up the cayenne to .10% if you want a spicier sausage. I tend to be really careful with that stuff. This recipe has a TON of black pepper so I find it's spicy enough. You could also sub out the water for beer to add something extra.

The advantage of using ratios is that it's way easier to tweak and make a recipe your own. Also I can easily scale the recipe to whatever leftover scraps I have in the freezer.

Here's a link to another forum where I cooked it.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?712...t=beef+sausage

Last edited by Dustin Dorsey; 12-14-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #39
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
Thanks,
Sleebus.Jones recipe came out really well but I would like to experiment a bit.
Cool! Glad you liked it!
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote