The craziest comp so far...

Jeff Selle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We had a backyard rib and chicken cookoff at the Kooteai County Fair in Coeur d'Alene Idaho this weekened... It was a lot of fun, but it was crazy. Apparently, the fair folks decided that helicopter rides and BBQ mixed well. We had to stop everything every 10 minutes to hold down the easy-ups and we had to batton down everything that was on the tables or light enough to blow away (like our beers, or lawn chairs, or cutting boards, or etc.) ... it was quite a challenge, but everything turned out cool...

Attachments

• helicopter.jpg
    helicopter.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 268
  • the fair 2 025.jpg
    the fair 2 025.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 267
Rub 'em Raw had three team members compete seperately .. we took second and third in ribs... it was a fund-raiser so we sold samples to the public (below: a picked-over tray of spare ribs!) It was a big hit
Other brethern who competed should post their pics too...

Attachments

• rib picture.jpg
    rib picture.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 266
Only in Idaho! May try a Barbeque Syncronized Swimming event next year!

So tell me about the comp. How many folks turned out? Who won the thing? Did the dust from the helicopter add a certain flavor profile? Good Job on the 2 and 3 spot in Ribs!

Jeff

Jeff, but what a great time. I had to laugh everytime that dang helicopter took off and when we heard him coming back everyone shouted INCOMING. We were going to grab Pat's cot and put Chris's son on it and run out there like M*A*S*H just for giggles.

What a great time though, fun as all get out to have a little fun comp and spend a day with friends cookin the goods. Can't wait to do it again. Maybe we need an informal one at 1910 soon, yes?

Greg

I agree Greg...

@Jeff, Pitt's Place took 1st, Gregs team Brown Chicken Brown Cow took 2nd, Pat Thompson from Smokin N Stokin took 3rd overall, I took 4th, my sister took fifth.

We had about eight competitors good thing it wasn't much more because they only gave us a sliver of grass to work with...

I afraid I have to admit I was partly responsible for bringing helicopter rides to BBQ contests in Georgia a few years back. However we made sure the whirlybirds had a landing site well removed from the cooksites, and even then we had to instruct the pilots to change their take off and landing approach to avoid crossing the festival area. Even then the noise they create is significant.

As an organizer, the copters are a plus because they attract the attention of the public, but I'll concede that they are a nuisance to everyone else.

Yeah CivilwarBBQ, we thought it would have been better to put the landing pad out in a nearby parking field. He was literally 50 yards away from my easy-up... like I said it was crazy time, but all went well ... the cooks had a blast and like Meat@Slim's said... it was an added challenge

Yeah CivilwarBBQ, we thought it would have been better to put the landing pad out in a nearby parking field. He was literally 50 yards away from my easy-up... like I said it was crazy time, but all went well ... the cooks had a blast and like Meat@Slim's said... it was an added challenge
50 Yards Jeff? His tail rotor was about 15 feet from your EZ-Up! I think you got windburn from the rotor wash!!! I will post a video of the takeoff in a minute if I can!!:-D

50 Yards Jeff? His tail rotor was about 15 feet from your EZ-Up! I think you got windburn from the rotor wash!!! I will post a video of the takeoff in a minute if I can!!:-D

It was closer than that, remember when that lady left her baby in the stroller to get ribs? She kept on at it while that poor baby's eyes were baseballs as the stroller started to tip a little, Chris ran out there to grab the baby but yeah, that tail rotor dipped back pretty close a few times, I had to tell my son to stay in our area from then on, not up by the rope.

As for dust, nothing that bad, we liberated a hose to keep the area moist around the setups. Wasn't all that bad, save for the hurricane every ten minutes.

@ GreenDrake
Just checked out your video with my smoker smokin' away at sunset! Awesome!!

Great vids Jay... Greg yours are awesome ... but I didn't see any storm coverage in the Smokin the Cda's comp

Great vids Jay... Greg yours are awesome ... but I didn't see any storm coverage in the Smokin the Cda's comp

Sorry jeff, by the time that storm rolled in, Laughing Dog Brewing and Dave had already dropped off that free keg of beer and we were focused on our barley pop intake.

Hi all had a great time Sunday helicopter & all lol ! Everyone was so friendly ,thanks for making my 1st comp such a great experience. I have some pictures not sure if I can post them yet if not will have Jay do it.

Hi all had a great time Sunday helicopter & all lol ! Everyone was so friendly ,thanks for making my 1st comp such a great experience. I have some pictures not sure if I can post them yet if not will have Jay do it.

Hey Leslie, tell Jay I am bustin out that big brisket for Sunday too, for our block party. Butts and Brisket.....or is it Brizkit?

Will do do you need me to bring anything? Brizkit :p Btw loved your video & artlady is me btw hehe.

Back