Chipotle Pork Tamale Pie with Corn Bread Topping [PRON]

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here is is July 6th, two days after the 4th of July meat-fest at my place. Now I need to figure out what to do with the smoked pork I have left over in the fridge. I already put about 2lbs in the freezer for a rainy day, but i still have a couple of pounds left that needs to be used.

I take a look in my pantry & fridge........Pie Shells, frozen corn...Tamale Pie it is!

However I want a bit of a twist on this one, along with pulled pork, I had also made up some homemade Chipotle powder, and who doesn't like corn bread?

So here we go:

Ingredients

2lbs smoked pork (chopped for this dish)
2 - pie shells ( I used the pre-made shells)
2 large onions (chopped)
1 cup of green bell pepper (chopped)
1 cup of red bell pepper (chopped)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 - 20 ounce can of tomato sauce (or diced tomatoes + 1 can of tomato paste)
1 - 10 ounce package of frozen corn - thawed
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons ground hot chipotle powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup of dry sherry
1 - teaspoon of Tabasco (or your favorite hot sauce), plus additional to taste
1 large egg
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded or chopped)
4 ounce can of green chili peppers (drained & chopped)

Directions
Put oil in large skillet, add onions & peppers, and let cook over moderately low heat until soft.
Stir in pork and cook over medium heat, then add tomato sauce, corn and spices.
Stir together well, now add sherry and cornmeal. Simmer on moderately low heat for 30 minutes.

While this mixture is simmering pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees and put your pie shells into two pie pans.
Go ahead and make corn bread batter from your favorite corn bread recipe (or jiffy mix).
after your batter is mixed, add in the monterey jack cheese and the green chilies to the batter and mix to just incorporated

Spoon the pork mixture into the center of the pie pans and distribute evenly. Now take your corn bread mix and spoon onto the top of of your pork mixture starting with spoonfuls on the outside edge.

Bake in your 400 degree oven for 10 minutes then reduce to 350 and bake for 30 minutes.

This is the result.
P7060089.JPG

Here is is served with a dollop of sour cream and a red chili.
P7060096.JPG

Close-up
P7060099.jpg

Last edited:
Hot dang that looks good. Bookmarked for future reference. Bravo good sir!

Oh that looks soooooo good...... Thanx for the recipe I'm saving to file now

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mmmm... Looks very tasty!!

After drooling at the tamale pie throwdown pic I finally made it over to this great thread to check out how you did it. I have 10 lbs. of pulled pork in the freezer so I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks for the recipe!

Back