Comp Trailer electric brake controller

Bones

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I need to buy an electric brake controller for my comp trailer. I have spoke to a couple of folks and they reccomended the Prodigy from Tekonsha.
I know this is a good brand but was wondering if others are just as good and reliable or should I get the prodigy?

No experience with the Prodigy, but a friend recently installed the P3 from Tekonsha and is very happy with it!

I need to buy an electric brake controller for my comp trailer. I have spoke to a couple of folks and they reccomended the Prodigy from Tekonsha.
I know this is a good brand but was wondering if others are just as good and reliable or should I get the prodigy?
I have prodigy in my Dodge 2500 diesel. My trailer is about 7k lbs and is 30ft long. I like it a lot. Whatever brand you buy go quality not price. Can't put a price on safety.

I have the Tekonsha P3 in my truck. Very easy setup. Diagnostics are nice. It will show the voltage and current your trailer brakes are drawing. Buy the wiring harness for your truck and the install will take all of five minutes.

Tekonsha Primus here - similar to the other two mentioned here as it's also inertia controlled. Meaning it doesn't function based on pressure applied to truck brakes - but a pendulum inside the the controller. The more it moves forward, the more power it sends to the brakes.

P3 does look nice with those boost features.

Last edited:
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy I use for hauling a car trailer behind my GMC Yukon. I'm very happy with it's performance. It's easy to dial it in to the load that you're hauling so that you don't eat up brakes or tires.

I bought mine at AdventureRV.net and would shop there again. I have no ties/affiliations with them. They just happened to have the best price when I ordered, and they had the specific wiring harness I needed for the Yukon.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I will get the P3. Found a new one on e-bay for $109.00 w/ $12.00 shipping. This is the best price I have seen.

I think you'll be very happy with your choice. Don't forget to make sure you order any wiring harnesses or fuses that may be necessary for hooking it to your vehicle. :thumb:

I think you'll be very happy with your choice. Don't forget to make sure you order any wiring harnesses or fuses that may be necessary for hooking it to your vehicle. :thumb:

I have an 06 toyota tundra that is factory wired. Do you think I should order the harness or use the factory one?

I have an 06 toyota tundra that is factory wired. Do you think I should order the harness or use the factory one?

My Yukon was also factory wired. You just need the cable that goes from the controller to the truck's wiring. Each vehicle manufacturer uses a different plug, so they can't just throw a universal adapter in the box. It should be cheap, but makes it plug-and-play. <$15

Hope that makes sense, and helps!

My Yukon was also factory wired. You just need the cable that goes from the controller to the truck's wiring. Each vehicle manufacturer uses a different plug, so they can't just throw a universal adapter in the box. It should be cheap, but makes it plug-and-play. <$15

Hope that makes sense, and helps!

He is correct. I have an '06 Tundra with a Prodigy Controller. I bought the harness that fits the Prodigy and my truck. The harness worked perfectly. I was able to mount the controller right under the ignition. Fit perfectly.

I have the Prodigy as well. I think I bought mine and the adapter from e-trailers.com. It has worked well and I have zero complaints.

No experience with the Prodigy, but a friend recently installed the P3 from Tekonsha and is very happy with it!

Have has this since it came out like 3 years ago! It's been the best and most inclusive controller I've ever owned! I like that I can set the surge if I need it when I'm hauling different trailers, (or even the same one loaded and un) to help with the initial braking. You can even diagnose problems right from the unit! It's able to change colors (if that matters) to match your interior lighting, and it warns when it's not connected. I leave mine in all the time so it's powered when my truck comes on. Like I said 3 years and NO issues.

Bones - One other thing as I read some of the other comments, I used this unit in an 06' Envoy Denali which had a pigtail under the dash and now I use it in my 08' Avalanche which also has a pigtail with easy wiring diagrams. Also This has a lifetime warranty. When I changed vehicles, I called the company to see how much the wiring harness and bracket would be to get in my new truck and they sent it to me free! The Chevy's are going away from plug and play harness's because they want you to get the factory model but it's still super simple and clean to install. I did have to pop the hood and connect 2 wires to the fuse box but this was all again simple and fully explained in the instructions. The wires were there from the factory and supplied power. Just a quick snip of the wire tie, and slipped the connectors under the bolts and we were immediately in business.

I can't say enough good stuff about this unit if you can't tell! lol.

FYI, you don't need the harness, if you are comfortable splicing wires and reading a diagram.

Thanks for all the replies.
Does anyone know the differences between the P2 and P3? I can get them at roughly the same cost.

Which one should I buy?

True, but for $15, why cut into factory wiring? :crazy:

It is a plug that will connect to the factory wireing and the naked ends should attach to the wireing harness from the controller.
I agree. I would not want to cut into the factory wireing.

Back