MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

Default Weeping Ribs Method?

I have heard a lot about it doing ribs with high heat till they weep, How do you do it and at what temps for how long.. I am always curious about new techniques.
dudz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudz View Post
I have heard a lot about it doing ribs with high heat till they weep, How do you do it and at what temps for how long.. I am always curious about new techniques.

Here is a great video on that exact subject, by Pitmaster Donnie T. aka Brother barbefunkoramaque
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBFZstQRUY

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

It didn't help me much on cook time or temps..great video tho

Old 02-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
It didn't help me much on cook time or temps..great video tho
He says in there that pit temps run from 270 to 325 degrees.

At those temps you should start looking at around 2 hours. I think that the point he is making is that the weeping and amount of bend/pullback and ease of probe going in will tell you when it is done -- not time.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Here is a great video on that exact subject, by Pitmaster Donnie T. aka Brother barbefunkoramaque
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBFZstQRUY
You beat me to it.

Quote:

At those temps you should start looking at around 2 hours. I think that the point he is making is that the weeping and amount of bend/pullback and ease of probe going in will tell you when it is done -- not time.
You beat me to it. Again.

I did this with my first spares and got great results.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

ok thanks will do sometime if in a hurry or just bored.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
leanza
Babbling Farker

Try conjuring up Funk.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
ok thanks will do sometime if in a hurry or just bored.
Actually, I would suggest that you try it the next time you want to cook some outstanding ribs.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

I find approx 3 hours @ 290 - do them on the kettle frequently. Try math from there.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

Should i remove the membrane tho, I don't know if it will make my finished product Chewy?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
deguerre

Quote:
Actually, I would suggest that you try it the next time you want to cook some outstanding ribs.
True dat.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Should i remove the membrane tho, I don't know if it will make my finished product Chewy?
I would not suggest this. These are manly ribs; not for the stringent Liberace loving, Clay Aiken style ribs like you see at the BBQ pageants so the silverskin I find keeps the moisture in. I see no sacrifice of the flavor penetration. I mean hey, I don't care what they say on the pack... no matter how thin the latex, some cooties are still gonna get on your meat from the marination and hot smokey love slatherin all up in there right? No matter the raincoat you still gonna get that funky stuff all over the base right?

No seriously, no offense to the competitors at all i am just joking. At competitions if you don't remove them they could taste like Mindy Vega and they would still loose.

At these temps, with the right kind of rub and smoke i find no loss of flavor form keeping it on and find an increase in moisture. Remember, you are NOT foiling and bathing and simmering in foil so you need all the breaks to be sure you don't dry it out. As a result at high temps you subject the meat to less time in the smoker YET about the same amount of smoke time exposure due to being quicker and the slower processes being wrapped in foil.

Likewise, with the really low and slow method combined with 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 or whatever, the ribs can have their skin removed to optimize flavor and moisture loss doesn't matter as you are boiling/steaming/simmering/braising them in foil and juices anyway. I use all those terms above because all happen at different temps according to the user.

Heck, I even found the damn skins to come off easier when they are cooked on high. They are also more edible when kept on, sorta crispy.

Temp is 270 with my 1200 lbs Meat Mama and my big pit the brazos, an offset.

There are some who have different temps with their own equipment.

I never talked about time because you should be listening for the sound. Imagine a bag of microwave popcorn... it slowly pops then the pops get more and closer til they are at a zenith then taper off.

The weep method calls for you to keep the temp up and get those ribs to 170 Internal (please do not get out your probes and try to probe for this) in the quickest and most efficient way possible... hot and fast.

There is less creosote and no loss in smoke taste. Its not going to be the gooey stuff that Trig serves up at pageants but more like what he likes at home according to him. I think Billy Bones Wall does them this way but I only imagine from tasting his at a pageant.

when the ribs get juuuust about right they let go of their fats and some juices. we call this pig honey. the entire rib (when left dry and not mopped or spritzes as this lowers the temp- duh) goes from dry to wet... the dripping intensity hits either the coals or the plates and sizzles. Right when the ribs are really sizzling out their fat, making sure you have a clean coal fire - you make like the Titanic Stokers did at 11:40 PM when the bells rang to reverse the engines - you shut all the dampers!!! inlets and stacks baby.

The ribs then ride in their own juices, steam and heat as the temps crawl down.

Another brethren is trying to see what this is like on a smaller weber thing. I bet a UDS would do this well as it is more tight.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Oh - make a mental note of the bend your ribs have and how well they take penetration. Around the time they START getting done, they go have larger wet spots. Then close the door and start listening as the sizlzling ramps up... when it gets intense shut her down. I let them sit in there a while... maybe 20, maybe 40, maybe an hour.... its not exact, that why I would think it would be unreliable for most to use it at pageants. a few of us can hit it on the dime but frankly who cares... if you are cooking 20 racks... theres bound to be one ready to turn in LOL

Old 02-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
deguerre

Did mine on a GOSM per the above and was very happy.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
bigabyte

So on the Weber, if it's a WSM, I'm thinking if you just removed the top section of the coal bowl you could set it in an empty bowl to do this? Is that what your friend is checking out?f
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->