• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Next for txschutte? Brick and Mortar?

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My ultimate dream for my BBQ passion is to own a takeout BBQ/BBQ Supply shop. Small and manageable.

I have been doing fair with the trailer, but the taco wagons are just about killing me here.

Next step: A real Store.

Somebody come to Nebraska and kick me in the nads for even thinking like this so early in my "BBQ Career", but I may have the chance to get into a building for ..Get this..$250/month rent + utils. 800 ft/sq. Off of the main business district here in Cozad. I have most of the equipment I need with the exception of a commercial smoker.

I plan to look at the place later in the week, and make an evaluation with the local HD inspector (Whom I have a fantastic relationship with) to see what I would need to do.

Not 100% sure yet, still some financial and other things to consider.

Am I farkin' stupid here?? Right now, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Seems after a year (finally) things may be falling into place for Family Tradition Barbecue.

You are SO Farking stupid for doing this...

And I wish it was me!

You are SO Farking stupid for doing this...

And I wish it was me!
Larry, I am cautiously giddy right now. Making sure it's the right thing to do before I jump in.

Mrs tx is supporting me anyway I need it right now. Right now vending/catering is working out because I do all the work and she works the book!:wink:

I agree with Larry, this is an incredibly stupid idea, but, I mean that in a totally supportive way.

At some point, you either reach for your dream, or give up and get a real job.

My ultimate dream for my BBQ passion is to own a takeout BBQ/BBQ Supply shop. Small and manageable.

I have been doing fair with the trailer, but the taco wagons are just about killing me here.

Next step: A real Store.

Somebody come to Nebraska and kick me in the nads for even thinking like this so early in my "BBQ Career", but I may have the chance to get into a building for ..Get this..$250/month rent + utils. 800 ft/sq. Off of the main business district here in Cozad. I have most of the equipment I need with the exception of a commercial smoker.

I plan to look at the place later in the week, and make an evaluation with the local HD inspector (Whom I have a fantastic relationship with) to see what I would need to do.

Not 100% sure yet, still some financial and other things to consider.

Am I farkin' stupid here?? Right now, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Seems after a year (finally) things may be falling into place for Family Tradition Barbecue.

Wow, commercial property here is $16 per square foot. Your space would be $10k a month here.

I agree with Larry, this is an incredibly stupid idea, but, I mean that in a totally supportive way.

At some point, you either reach for your dream, or give up and get a real job.
I have a real job. Pays well. That's why I'm keeping it until BBQ makes me more than Project Supervisor does.

It's more than money now though. It's having something else that I can't explain, but you know what I mean.

Incidentally, I have worked in the food industry as a cook/busser/bottle washer and I have been a business owner for over 23 of my 26 year working life as a landscape architect, it has been worth it to me, even when times were lean.

Well hello... Pissy's back!!

BTW: May the smoke stay out of your face... and into your family's future.

I once wanted to open a roadside eatery, I was talked out of it. GO FOR IT! A man that does not take a chance, dosnt have a chance.

Gor for it. Worst case, you keep your job and run the shop part time during the week and on weekends. At that price per month, I'm sure you can make it at least profitable. Maybe a family member can run it the rest of the time you aren't there.
How is it that the Taco Wagons are killing you? You are just as mobile as they are in that trailer. Or is it a bigger menu they offer? I'm hoping to get into vending at festivals and such once we get a break from paying daycare for the kids. Slowly but surely I've been collecting gear, here and there.
I'd like to hear what you have learned from your experience. Is a set spot in a building a better move? I'm intrigued.

How close are you to the business district? Would you pull a good lunch crowd? Won't it conflict with your day job?

If you go for it and want to sell the trailer PM me I'm looking for one now and have cash in hand.or anyone else that has a vending trailer don't need the smoker have a few.just a trailer with a vending window.

Back