• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ok Help me prove the wife wrong!

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got a new meat grinder for Christmas!! Hoo Hoooo! Wife said she bought an extra blade for it, then chuckled and said not that you'll ever need it since you'll never use it! Well I have grinder and I'm ready to grind. Anyone got any ideas for a first run thru? Figure I might try some sausage next week or after the holidays. When making ground chuck and such do you cut the fat out or leave it in? I read a post were someone grinds bacon up with their chuck for bacon burgers. Now that sounds good! Well off to the relatives house! Have a great Christmas!
David

Sorry Dave, you will have to prove her wrong on your own... I am not going to get involved.... :icon_sick

Now I do not grind any meat myself, but my dad has always told me to add some kind of fat or the meat will be too lean to hold together. So, I suppose bacon might work, but I don't know how it would grind being in strips like that. You might just want to use a piece of fat back, just a thought, or some fat off of a shoulder, or something along that line.

Now remember, if you don't post pics, it never happened.... :shock:

For ground beef I grind sirloin and chuck. I trim the sirloin as lean as possible. The chuck I only trim the nasty looking fat. I'll mix the sirloin and chuck for burgers. The rest of the sirloin is saved for casseroles etc... It's lean enough that I don't have to drain off grease etc...

congrats ok im not touching the wife thing but take your fav .. piece of meat<steak tri -tip run it into the grinder with corse grill season to taste make pattys grill them or smoke them and im sure you will love your new fresh burgers quick and easy first run

Dave, some kindly advice to a fellow Buckeye. Even if you win the argument, you'll lose! Don't even go there!:-D

Merry Christmas!

take a pork butt -cut out the bone and any nasty stuff- cut into chunks and grind away- weigh it and mix up a batch of breakfast sausage- it is an easy starter and it is better quality than what you can buy

If I want fresh grind, I'll grind a whole brisket, mix it together real good and grind a lb of bacon along with the brisket..Oh forgot make sure the meat is cold before you grind

Go buy yourself a nice corned beef flat. Soak it in water for three or four hours, changing the water every 30 minutes.

Grind the corned beef flat with a fine grind. Mix one finely chopped jalapeno with the ground meat. Make a fatty out of it and smoke it.

Pastrami fatty!!!!!

Are you just looking to grind up meat or do you want to get into sausage making? If your just grinding meat, buy some chuck roasts on sale and grind for burger meat. A regular chuck will usually come out close to an 80/20 lean to fat which is perfect for me...

I will also buy briskets when they go on sale for $.99lb and grind those for burger meat. If you actually want to use them for burger patties, double grind it and it will stick together better.

If you want to make a run at sausage, look up bigwheel's Texas hot guts. Good stuff!

To make some awesome ground chuck buy you some chuck roast and grind as is. Makes the best burger.

Mike

I like adding bacon to my grind in a 1 to 2 ratio. For the two parts of beef, I get pot roast from Costco or leftover brisket trimmings. Brisket burgers are amazing.

Don't prove your wife wrong...it just isn't worth it!

As for the grinder, try a mix of pork and beef, chill the meat first to help firm it up, if you're going to stuff casings then use ice water to help the mix move through to the machine and into the casings.

I've been grinding my own burger meat for years with a cheapo little grinder that was dull and prone to clogging up. This Christmas I received a big ol' 3/4 HP Cabela's grinder, so I'm ready to grind in 2009!

"Ok Help me prove the wife wrong! "

Bahahahaha, good luck with that. You know we are never wrong! :twisted:

J/K! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back