BBQ Sauce

Pitbull

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question. Many of us make our own BBQ sauce. I have one that I’ve been messing with for years. One question though. What ingredient do people add that gives it that silky/glossy look? Is it honey, syrup, ketchup or what?

Winemaster is right! I always thought it was honey but they use corn syrup.

So let's suppose you want to add light corn syrup to an existing recipe you are working on so you can get that gloss look. Would it be as simple leaving out an appropriate amount of the sugar or what?

Add it in addition but increase the spice to counteract the sweetness

We make homemade apple pie shots from time to time and I found this substitution method when dealing with liqueurs. I'm not sure if it translates directly to bbq sauce or not, but it's worth thinking about.

To substitute corn syrup for sugar or syrup: 2 units corn syrup equals 1 unit granulated sugar (I saw it recommended not to use corn syrup to replace more than half the amount of sugar a recipe calls for).

Last edited:
So it sounds like Karo (corn) syrup would work. You say light corn syrup, but would dark Karo work as well?

I've got a batch of sauce already made up and in the frig. I guess I can add some syrup and see what happens. My sauce is pretty sweet to start with though.

butter or country crock,blue bonnet spread.Gives the shine witout adjusting seasoning

Back