MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #8821
tburda
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tyler

Theres a bunch of different methods people use to get rid of the liner. The key ingredient is one hot a$$ fire. Drill your intake holes first, and fire her up. Use a leaf blower or shop vac on exhaust to get it real hot. Thats what I can offer as a start.

About the ring, I love mine, because my lid is not exactly the same shape it used to be. It warped a little. So i get a GREAT seal, and when doing a cook with people around, it keeps people from peeking.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #8822
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Ok so I don't think my drum has a liner. It had a product in it called petrolatum which apparently is a skin product. The inside of the drum is grey and when I get a flat head screw drive I scrape it off and it's bare steel. Thinking it'll be a pretty easy burn out!
ClintHTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #8823
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

So since I just started using my USD and its already winter I'm thinking about getting a 85gal over pack drum... Using it as an outer shell packing the space between UDS and over pack with insulation and running air intake outside over pack. Should give me a insulated UDS. Any thoughts? will this work?

pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #8824
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

Rrum over drum is an interesting idea...what are u gonna use as insulation in between? I assume outer drum has top off as it would be a pain to lift outer shell to fire up an load,,,

Im leaning towards a moving blanket and just recently noticed that the blankets they hang in elevators to protect them from movers\construction activity have "fireproof" stamped all over them. Think I might try modifying one of these blankets to a uds "snuggy"...at least it will decrease the "U" factor somewhat.

Last weekend we caught the corner ot the noreasterner that hit new england...Cold temps, mixed precitation (snow) rain, and HOWLIN winds....Im on the 2nd floor and have to run up and down stairs to tend the Q but I can check the temp with a pair of binos out my kitchen window but cant see thu snow...Canceled the cook i had planned and so no good food this week

Think in future Ill cook only when 2 out of 3(wind,snow, cold temps) are happenin...at least untill I get a few more cooks under my belt.....
wireless maverick thermo high on list.

r

Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #8825
Disciple882542

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur View Post
Think in future Ill cook only when 2 out of 3(wind,snow, cold temps) are happenin...at least untill I get a few more cooks under my belt.....

r
move it up a little higher no the list!!! I absolutely love being able to monitor temps and watch football or play with my girls without the distraction of wondering what my temps are.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #8826
jcinadr

You could always get super lazy like me and put some sort of automatic system on it. I use a BBQ Guru (it is pretty much set and forget). I don't recall if they make one that is wifi - but pretty sure another company does - so you can even monitor it from the internet.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #8827
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Somebody suggested a turkey fryer basket for my wood basket on my UDS. Found this one at Ace Hardware Web site. http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1291443

It's a Bayou Classic 30 QT basket and seems fairly reasonably priced at $25.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #8828
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Somebody suggested a turkey fryer basket for my wood basket on my UDS. Found this one at Ace Hardware Web site. http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1291443

Look like you might have problem with ash choaking the coals. Homemade might be better for $25

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #8829
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Paints done :) just a few minor details and its done :)

pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #8830
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

I did a seasoning burn for like an hour and then, due to my impatience, i bought a chuck roast and a butt and threw it on. This thing has been holding +- 4 degrees of 260 since I started at 10am.
the silver spots are where i started grinding off paint and then realized that it was more work than I had free time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #8831
smokingj
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post

I have that same exact basket that was liberated from my Aunt's garage. Cut the bottom off and wire it to a grate and your good to go. Never have had any problems with cooks up to 6 hours with it so far. I am waiting to see if it will hold up to the brisket I do for Thanksgiving without snuffing itself out. It will hold A LOT of coals though.

Last edited by smokingj; 11-05-2011 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
smokingj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #8832
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

r[/QUOTE]

I believe that the most important factor is the wind, I've used my UDS @-25, sheltered from the wind.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #8833
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

IS a charcoal box even needed? After my first cook i noted almost a 40 degree difference between the center grate and perimeter temperature. in lieu of a charcoal box, would a piece of expanded metal covered with charcoal work better? Im envisioning a roughly 23"diameter of 1/2" expanded metal with whatever height of charcoal stacked on top of it. Then after lighting a 1/3 of a chimney, use tongs to evenly space them out over the unlit coals in hopes that you get a somewhat even distribution of heat. Does anyone have an idea if this would work?
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #8834
smokingj
Full Fledged Farker

ok. so I'm trying to add pics from flickr and the site won't show them.

when I check the faq it's says to go to control panel and add a album. There is no button/link in my cp for pics or albums.
whats the issue?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #8835
smokingj
Full Fledged Farker

fryer basket used for fire box:

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker