MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #3661
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrykr View Post
Rich Parker,

Sorry to be so late with a reply to your question.

I got my latch clamps at Harbor Freight.

Jerry
I went in to Harbor Freight, but they didn't have any. I ended up buying some toggle clamps off of Amazon that look similar. I hope to have the casters and clamps installed this weekend, so i can get some cookin done.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #3662
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
Hey all,

Note to self: Get longer screws to support cooking grate.

Paul

Paul, what grates are you using? The true Weber replacement grates are the way to go. I tried the cheap ones from Academy and they were a full 1" smaller in diameter and I had the same problem with the grates falling.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #3663
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

It's a true Weber grate, but I have about 3/4 inch all the way around on my UDS. I think I used 1 1/2 inch screws. I should probably go to 2 or 2 1/2 inches. I only used 3 so that might have something to do with the problem at that short length.
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #3664
HoosierTrooper
Full Fledged Farker

Just for the heck of it I added a grate 4 inches above the top of the charcoal basket and put a foiled pan I had left over from an old Brinkman I got rid of years ago on it. I think I like this WSM type set up a little better than the drippings landing on the wood and coals. I've had a 17.3 lb brisket on since 6:30 this morning and it's stayed right around 245 with three plugs out, and I don't miss the burned grease smell like before.
HoosierTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #3665
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Blasphemy!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #3666
mr_congeniality
Got rid of the matchlight.

I had no idea about the store bought sauce until my brother-in-law pointed it out to me! I did use my own dry rub however. I fiqured I had enough to worry about than the sauce for the trial run.
mr_congeniality is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #3667
HoosierTrooper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
Blasphemy!
Yeah I know, I started to keep the dirty little idea to myself, but it slipped out. I realize the idea of the UDS is the added flavor of the drippings hitting the coals, but this is an option to consider. I am really pleased with the brisket, it seems to have a "cleaner" taste for lack of a better word. I may still cook ribs without the pan, but for the meats that produce a lot of drippings, like butts, briskets and chickens, I will probably stick with the pan.
HoosierTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #3668
VivaSancho
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, the smoker is almost done, the basket is 15" X 6" with 1 1/2' legs. My drum is only 43 1/2" tall and that is leaving me very little room. What is the consensus on a safe amount of room between the lid and the cooking grate? 24" from the basket leaves me with 2"...

Just a thought, would gun blue help prevent the bottom of the drum from rusting down the line?

Dave

Last edited by VivaSancho; 07-21-2009 at 11:45 PM..
VivaSancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #3669
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrooper View Post
Yeah I know, I started to keep the dirty little idea to myself, but it slipped out. I realize the idea of the UDS is the added flavor of the drippings hitting the coals, but this is an option to consider. I am really pleased with the brisket, it seems to have a "cleaner" taste for lack of a better word. I may still cook ribs without the pan, but for the meats that produce a lot of drippings, like butts, briskets and chickens, I will probably stick with the pan.
Keep in mind your fuel consumption will go up. With 3 plugs out, more air=more fuel.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #3670
FLORIDASMOKER
Found some matches.

Little help please, I built my UDS and took it for a maiden voyage, pork butt came out better than I ever tasted. Problem was I wasn’t sure on air control and with all plugs 3 ¾ and one inch ball valve all close, top vent wide open I had a temp of 350 and couldn’t get it down. If I opened a bottom valve the temp would rise higher. Do I need to have bottom feed air from the start to get the 230 range temps you guys are getting. My temps were with two different thermometers. Fire basket about 3 inches off bottom vent holes about 2 ½ inches.
FLORIDASMOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #3671
Norcoredneck

How did you start your fire? If you close the top vent will the fire go out completely within a short time? Post picks of lid set up.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #3672
swamprb

Default Heat deflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrooper View Post
PM JD McGee-he's got a couple drums he's using a claypot base for a heat sink, and I've seen them in action and even though I feel it is blasphemy to stray from the UDS vision-some folks aren't used to the "old grandpaw" flavor so hey have a party! It produced some fine eatin'!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #3673
Kickback BBQ on Guam
On the road to being a farker

I started reading this thread four days ago. You guys have really outdone yourself. I started looking for drums on the first day i'm gonna need a pick up truck load of them to try all of the ideas that are fighting in my head.
I modified my Electric water smoker yesterday to try and use some of this information ( Wife is still angry about that one).

Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #3674
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

She will get over it when she tastes to food.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #3675
FLORIDASMOKER
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
How did you start your fire? If you close the top vent will the fire go out completely within a short time? Post picks of lid set up.

I started the fire with a weed burner my top is the bottom of a wally world 40 buck BBQ with a crome electric stove burner plate adjusted with magnents

FLORIDASMOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker