MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
Nomo4me
On the road to being a farker

Maybe a rutland replacement gasket at the bottom joint would be a worthwhile experiment?
Nomo4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #32
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomo4me View Post
Maybe a rutland replacement gasket at the bottom joint would be a worthwhile experiment?
Maybe but I don't want to look into making any mods until I understand how the cooker performs as is. Once I understand that and determine IF I need to make any mods, I'll look into the options. I'm thinking, at this point, that if any air intake mods need to be made, they need to be made at the vent first. If I can maintain 250-275 without any mods to the grill I'll probably keep it as is.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #33
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Excellent review JM! A suggestion for not overshooting the temp. On my Bubba Keg, I start a pretty small fire right in the middle. I do it with a torch, or a starter cube. I close the lid and open the vents all the way. I just watch the temp slowly climb until it gets close to where I want it, and close the vent almost all the way. Then I just open it a little at a time until I'm where I want to be. Takes a little time, but this way you never end up with a fire thats bigger than what you need.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #34
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Excellent review JM! A suggestion for not overshooting the temp. On my Bubba Keg, I start a pretty small fire right in the middle. I do it with a torch, or a starter cube. I close the lid and open the vents all the way. I just watch the temp slowly climb until it gets close to where I want it, and close the vent almost all the way. Then I just open it a little at a time until I'm where I want to be. Takes a little time, but this way you never end up with a fire thats bigger than what you need.
That's pretty much what I did here and the upcoming video will show it. I use a weber starter cube in the bottom of the fire box to get things going. I probably just didn't shut down the air soon enough but we're still hanging in there at 270-275 at the 4 hour mark. I'm good with that. It has gotten as low as 263 according to my Maverick but I haven't touched the vents since the 1 hour mark. The bottom vent is still all the way close and the top vent is just cracked barely open.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #35
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
That's pretty much what I did here and the upcoming video will show it. I use a weber starter cube in the bottom of the fire box to get things going.
I wouldn't put it on the bottom, I would put it just under the top piece of lump in your mound. Q-dat has good advice, it's best to give it just a little air at a time to get to your target temp. Make small adjustments, it can sometime take 10 minutes or so for it to adjust to the new temp. A lot of people make too big of adjustments and their temps get way too high. Also check to see if the OEM therm has an adjustable nut on the back of it to calibrate the temp. Hopefully it's not a totally crap therm. It may take a few cooks to get your technique down. Also as you know Cowboy lump doesn't have a good rep. hopefully it doesn't affect your results.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #36
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I gotta admit, this gets more and more tempting.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #37
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I wouldn't put it on the bottom, I would put it just under the top piece of lump in your mound. Q-dat has good advice, it's best to give it just a little air at a time to get to your target temp. Make small adjustments, it can sometime take 10 minutes or so for it to adjust to the new temp. A lot of people make too big of adjustments and their temps get way too high. Also check to see if the OEM therm has an adjustable nut on the back of it to calibrate the temp. Hopefully it's not a totally crap therm. It may take a few cooks to get your technique down. Also as you know Cowboy lump doesn't have a good rep. hopefully it doesn't affect your results.
The onboard thermometer has no calibration nut. In this cook with the diffuser in place, it's reading anywhere from 35-50 degrees low of my Maverick. I'm not too worried about the dome thermometer since I always use something else.

Adjusting the air here seems to respond about the same speed as my UDS so there is not a lot of difference. It's sorta hard to gage a response time since I'm cooking at nearly the bare minimum airflow this thing is capable of. I'm also dealing with some breezy weather, but other than that I'm satisfied at this point. The only thing that will ruin my day now is if Duke loses to UNC and/or if my Butt tastes nasty for some reason :)

Old 03-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #38
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

Got the grill put together. I'm very impressed with how tightly this unit is engineered. Since we just moved, I can't find my electric lighter, so I've got wicked good lump going in the weber chimney.

Gonna do the burn in for about an hour then grill some steaks. Sorry, can't post pics as I haven't found my camera yet.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #39
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

JM your making it tough not to get in the car and head down to Lowes, the only reason I don't is because I wouldn't have room for it. Gotta find someone to take the other Char-Griller off my hands.

Oh and Duke losing would ruin my day as well

Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I'm glad someone else here has decided to give this cooker a try. There is another guy (I can't remember his ID) who has a thread going about his RED model which is very similar but not identical to this one. He made some mods to his air intake vent and I might want to investigate those a little later, but 2.5 hours into my butt cook (7.15lbs) I'm stabilized at under 275 degrees. A few minutes ago, I checked it and it was at 267. The bottom vent is completely closed and the top vent is just cracked open at the "1" setting. The cooker is definitely getting air with the vent closed, but it doesn't appear to be too much to mess up a low and slow cook at this point. I'm also inexperienced with lump charcoal, so I probably could have lowered my temps by allowing less lit lump to start the cook.
Oldyote has this thread going. He bought his last spring.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=102731

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #41
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Well, from what I have seen so far, I'm happy with my purchase. The low and slow aspect was the only thing I was worried about. Air leaks can make that very difficult to do but this Kamado seems to be handling it fairly well right out of the box with no modifications. I'll admit that some previous experience with low and slow cooking is making it a little easier, but I'm new to this type of cooker and also new to using lump charcoal and it's still working rather well.

The question of longevity on this cooker is what's gonna be left to determine. I can't speak for that obviously because I haven't had it but a few days. What I can say is that I DID purchase the cover for it and I do not leave my cookers out in the weather. They stay parked under an outside awning and they stay covered. I think with any type of grill or smoker, proper maintenance will make it last a long time. This cooker has porcelain coating on everything that could possibly be a rust point. I'll have to keep my eyes open for visible rust developing on the outside metal stand and shelf parts. If I see that happening, it won't be a big deal to use a little wire brush action and touch it up with some paint.

I take care of my stuff. If everyone else does, I'm sure they will get longer life out of their cookers. I had a Char-Griller gas grill that I used for three seasons before I gave it away. It had no signs of rust on it anywhere when I gave it away. It did NOT have porcelain coatings on anything other than the grill grates. It, as with my other cookers, stayed covered and out of the weather as well.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #42
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

I hope you guys don't mind my review in this thread also. I didn't want to start another.

Anyway, it reached 700 plus quick! It is hot to the touch at that temp but is holding the heat and smoke just fine.

I'm cooling it down to 500 and will throw a couple of steaks on.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #43
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpig View Post
I hope you guys don't mind my review in this thread also. I didn't want to start another.

Anyway, it reached 700 plus quick! It is hot to the touch at that temp but is holding the heat and smoke just fine.

I'm cooling it down to 500 and will throw a couple of steaks on.
Go find your camera!

Also, nothing wrong with 700° for those steaks either....

Old 03-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #44
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Go find your camera!

Also, nothing wrong with 700° for those steaks either....
We still have about 100 boxes to unpack.

Anyway, the verdict is in...the steaks were perfect! Very well enginered grill and easy to use. Just make sure you season it and burn all the shipping crud off it.

As mentioned earlier, I have a BGE and a Viking Egg. This unit is every bit as good as they are.

I recommend you run, not walk to Lowes and grab one of these.

I'm going to do a packer on it tomorrow and will report back.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #45
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great vids! I have been wanting to upgrade to a Kamado, but the Eggs are outta my league. Your testimonials may sway my dollar vote.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado