not sure exactly what's wrong with me

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
It started out as a trip to Home Depot to pick up a spark plug for my weed whacker, please see photo #1. It ended with one additional item, please see photo #2.

Photo 1:

002.jpg

Photo 2:

003.jpg

little bastid jumped in my cart as I walked up & down the bbq aisle 9 times looking for the spark plugs :clap2:.

Out of the box:

004.jpg

3 minutes later:

005.jpg

outdoor cookers now officially outnumber humans in my house :thumb: :becky::

007.jpg

hope your weather is great this weekend, Marc

I hate it when that happens :wink: you can never have too many grills:-D

Only makes sense to have a mini for your Weber since those BGE's have one.... I bet your Weber was getting jealous:-D. Now your 22 just needs a mate for it to be one big happy family.

Only makes sense to have a mini for your Weber since those BGE's have one.... I bet your Weber was getting jealous:-D. Now your 22 just needs a mate for it to be one big happy family.

hard to argue with logic like that, it's like I'm obligated now to go get another 22. I'm sure the wife will also see the soundness of that reasoning :laugh:

I saw that one when i was there to and i though aww how cute, i think it needs a home. However my husband said no it isn't. there is now use for something that small and now it doesn't need a home. Especially our home. : ( Maybe i need to replace my current Mark with a new one. What ya think Zippy. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked by one of those at home depot a couple of times yesterday, but I was able to resist. You did better than me. Enjoy your new toy! Love all of your toy together, great pic.

I saw that one when i was there to and i though aww how cute, i think it needs a home. However my husband said no it isn't. there is now use for something that small and now it doesn't need a home. Especially our home. : ( Maybe i need to replace my current Mark with a new one. What ya thing Zippy. ;)

Dunno, send me a picture & we'll talk :laugh:. Seriously, as for using something that small, I can assure you there are 1001 uses & likely many many more. I've had the mini egg (which is 5 inches smaller than the Smokey Joe) & cook on it frequently. The small cookers have the advantage of super high efficiency in terms of fuel usage, & with the coals being closer to the food, you can do things like searing sometimes better. Also, if you're just cooking a few burgers or steaks or chicken parts... it's just easier & faster. They are a great side kick too to the bigger cookers, gives you much more range of ability. I often will put up to 16 appetizer sized pieces on the mini egg (abts, shrimp...) while cooking the main course on one of the larger cookers. The Smokey Joe will fit even more...

Wait! I just realized that you may be right. There might be something wrong with you!

You didn't pick up a few hundred pounds of charcoal on sale! :becky: Shame on you... :nono:

The only thing I see as wrong is that you think something was wrong with coming home with a grill you didn't plan originally. It would be wrong to not being it home... It would be lonely if you left it at the store with no one to love it and cook on it.

Fixin to head to Lowe's for the 9.98 infrared thermometer. Hope I don't run into any of them thar grill thangs.

the maiden cook on smokey joe

Put a few briquettes in the chimney & into the Joe:

009.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

only thing I could find was a couple frozen pre-cooked chicken & cheese brats, so on they went on the cool side to thaw out, a few apple chips on the coals for extra flava:

015.jpg

016.jpg

after about 10 minutes, moved over to the hot side:

017.jpg

had to take them off before the char set in, high velocity streams of molten cheese started spewing forth like jets of napalm:

018.jpg

was pretty tasty:

019.jpg

almost hate to say it, but this thing seems to be a heck of a lot more user friendly than the mini egg. The grid is over 4 inches larger in diameter so it can fit a lot more food, it weighs a fraction of the mini’s weight, it can do true indirect cooking right out of the box, it’s a lot easier to clean, seemingly indestructible, quick cool down, & all for about 10% of the cost of a new mini. Though I’ve used my mini frequently for years, it has to be the least practical of the egg lineup (in terms of it being not big enough to really do what a ceramic cooker does very well, but still proportionally very expensive). It’s great as a turbo hot searing machine & to do side dishes… it has countless uses, but I think the Joe will be seeing more action going forward

sweet ! but please, please, change the hardware to stainless steel ! that junk weber uses will rust up quick. just 4 1/4 - 20, 1/2 in pan head bolts, 4 1/4 washers and 4 1/4-20 wing nuts. you do not need the star washers. you will thank me later.

Excess humans have limited uses for smoking and grilling, oh sure, they can make great gofers between the ages of 4 and 11, but, once after that, more trouble than they are worth. Webers on the other hand are great.

Back