RD brisket better than Costco

Twisted Martini

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I had my brothers coming in town for the Indianapolis 500 and they had heard about my "legendary" BBQ skills, so I decided to do a brisket. I decided to leave work early and drive downtown to RD, but got lazy and distracted and went to Costco instead. However, once inside I was disappointed in the quality and size of the briskets, so I ran out of the store and hauled arse for RD, hoping i would make it before they closed. Got there with 5 min to spare and picked out a 9 LBer.

IMG00697-20110526-0716-1.jpg

Rubbed it up with a little Dizzy Pig, fired up the Egg and threw some hickory on around 7 AM. I was a littel nervous, as my probe had broke and I was having to rely on my instant read. When it hit 165, I foiled it and added some beef broth and worchestershire sauce and put it back in. Around 3, I poked it with the instan read and it went in like butta. So I pulled it and stuck in the oven on warm to let it rest. I went ahead and fired up some beans (h/t to patiodaddyo) and hoped for the best.

IMG00699-20110526-2115.jpg

Flights were delayed, so I didn't get to cut into it until around 9. And I have to say, it was the best brisket I have ever made.

IMG00698-20110526-2114.jpg

The point was juicy and full of flavor and the flat was as tender as I have seen. My brother said it was the best brisket he'd ever had. High praise from a guy who gets his prime meat from a top end NY purveyor. Needless to say, I will be shopping at RD for brisket from now on.

Last edited:
It looks great, nice job. Did you just leave it in the oven for the 6 hours?

So far I've only seen flats at Costco. IMO if there's no point, then there's no point!

I'd hit that, bro!

I'm no expert, but I picked up a 6lb brisket from RD (day pass thanks to KCBS membership) last weekend and did it hot & fast at 350°F for 3h 15min on the drum. Foiled at 165, picked it up and coolered at 195ish when the probe went in "like buttah". Stayed in the cooler for a few hours until dinner and then sliced. I thought it was amazing... and so did the wife which is all that matters :-D. Of course the price would have been better if I had bought it by the case, but it worked out fine for me since I don't cater or do comps. Price was better than HEB at least.

I'll try the oven warmer next time, since it stayed in the cooler for 4hrs (not planned) and I was getting a little nervous about the internal temp.

even though i'm trying to move away from mass produced meat, i've gotten National brand briskets from RD and a couple other local stores and i like them very much.
can't say about costco though, never bought one there.

looks like you had a nice cook!

Never bought a brisket from RD but I've bought a few from Costco. The ones down here only carry full packers and they seem good to me. Some are better than others but I don't think I've had one I'd call bad.

Back