MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Cobra7
Knows what a fatty is.

Default WSM or Big Green Egg?

Which would y'all rather own?
Cobra7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Grange
Knows what a fatty is.

I had the choice and went for the BGE. One big factor was that I will smoke or grill in winter and figured the BGE would be more efficient than the WSM.
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
eggzlot
Take a breath!

Same here - Egg may be 2x the price, but you can also use it as a grill, pizza oven, etc, so at least for me, it gets 2x the use.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a Large BGE and love it. My buddy has a 18" WSM and loves his.

It depends on what you want to do with your smoker. If you primarily want to smoke and have the need to transport it from time to time, go with the WSM. If it's going to be stationary and you want to smoke, grill, cook pizza, etc, the BGE will do it all.

Now, I do carry mine to BBQ comps but I worry every single time that it will crack. I built a special carrier and lash it down ultra careful. My buddy chucks his WSM in the back of his truck and never gives it a second thought. It's pretty much indestructible compared to the Egg.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Kamados are nice and very versatile. If you smoke meats in the winter, buy a kamado.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

To me this is like comparing a pickup truck to a freight train.

WSM is a wonderful smoker, so wonderful in fact that plenty of teams use these in competitions. They're light weight, easy to maneuver, easy to use. But, they're really a smoker, and just that. They also aren't insulated. Made very well, and well worth the money.

BGE is a fantastic cooker that can be used as a smoker, an outdoor oven, grill, etc. It's not cheap. eggzlot says 2x a WSM. I'm thinking that's an unbelievable understatement. I think it's more like 4x. They're heavy as **** because they ARE insulation (in essence). They cook/smoke fantastic, and many competitors use these as well. However, you'll see many that have fallen or otherwise broken. Not that you cant break a WSM, but it's a lot more costly to replace one of these than a WSM.

Money not withstanding, I'd choose the XL BGE (or the new XXL BGE) for versatility.

Money, and if I didnt need to cook a pizza, etc. outdoors, and only wanted at smoker, WSM.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

BGE= Use less fuel

BGE= More diverse cooking ability.

BGE= Won't rust or dent (but shatters..... see post by another brethren)

WSM= But it seems to me, if ya wanna score more points with old skool Brethren

(someone is bound to get their britches in a knot with this post).

Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra7 View Post
Which would y'all rather own?
Both. There is no one perfect cooker; you need an arsenal.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
LMAJ

If you are only going to smoke, get the WSM -they are a great cooker.

If you have the cash and want a more versatile cooker get a BGE, but don't go smaller than a Large.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

From a capacity standpoint, if you can't afford the XL egg, get the 22" WSM.

If you're thinking more along the lines of Large egg vs. 18" WSM. Get the egg.

So basically, I prefer the egg but I did get 8 butts (62lbs) on my WSM yesterday.

I say just go buy either one because one day you'll probably end up with the other one someday anyway.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

No brainer the way you asked it - BGE based on versatility alone. A better question is would you rather have a BGE or a WSM and a Performer. That is more of an apple to apples question.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I love my Large BGE Awesome grill/smoker. My son loves his WSM If you put a welding blanket around it in cold or rainy weather the WSM should do just fine
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Zippylip
Full Fledged Farker

As said above it depends on what you’re cooking. If mainly low & slow, go with the Weber as it’s cheaper, has more capacity & is practically indestructible. If in addition to low & slow you also want the ability to duplicate a brick oven for baking (& you only want one cooker), then ceramic is the way to go. All that said, I agree with the comment above that one of each is better still, the more different styles of cookers you have the more versatility & capacity you’ll also have; here’s my arsenal, & with the exception of the mini egg which I find practically useless in light of the other cookers (primarily the smoky joe), I wouldn’t part with any of them & they all get a good regular workout for different cooks:

Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Wolfpack
Knows what a fatty is.

I tend to use be BGE over the WSM even for smoking- I tend to end up with meat that is a little more moist... but both are really nice units (granted I inherited the WSM and am probably not doing something right :))
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
Rodbolt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

No contest for your climate, get the BGE. The Egg is a great cooker but the nest is not useable and the accessories over priced IMHO. Most Eggr's build a table and treasure them for years. The Vision Classic Kamado comes with a nice nest, cover, second rack that needs a bit of attention and decent folding shelves-- a great value. If you can swing it a Big Joe would be high on my list but I don't own one.

Thin metal with cool/cold wind and/or rain prevent consistant smoking here in MO.

Good luck!