MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Default Questions for whole hog/pig

Fellow Smokers,

I am doing a smoke for my cigar shop on 8 June. They want a pig and I have a question for those whole smoke whole hog skin side down. I am curious if the meat gets greasy from all the juices collecting in the cavity? Do you siphon off the liquid before picking the meat? If so, how?

I have done a few hogs racer style on a split drum. This will be my first on my reverse flow. It will be ~85 pounds.
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Never heard of skin side down from those in the know.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

Mryon Mixon gives details of whole hog skin side down but he places a whole packer beneath the back bone to temper the cooking of the strap muscles.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

I know quite a few people who prefer skin side down and say its much better as you know longer have to worry about turning the pig and it creates a much juicer pork due to the skin keeping all of the juices inside. Ive personally never done a whole hog, but plan to this summer so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Zig
Knows what a fatty is.

Thats the way I do mine. 200#, skin down, 250 deg for 10-12 hrs.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig View Post
Thats the way I do mine. 200#, skin down, 250 deg for 10-12 hrs.

That's a quick cook time. I was thinking it would take at least that long for the size pig (85-100 pounds) that I was planning on doing. I am using a reverse flow Lang clone. Will that slow the process?
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]

Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

130 pound hog on a lang 84 cooked skin side down at 250 takes me about 17 to 18 hours.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Zig
Knows what a fatty is.

For my whole hogs I use a Sikes cooker. It has a offset burner and water under the meat. I put the pig on and cook it over night. 12 hours is the max I have ever needed and the meat pulls with your hands, no chopping.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
130 pound hog on a lang 84 cooked skin side down at 250 takes me about 17 to 18 hours.
A 130 ponder on a Lang 84 should leave a lot of room for additional smoking. I think the 100pounder is going to max me out. I am sized between a 48 and 60.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think that your estimated time is about right at 250*. And I agree that skin side down is the way to go.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Cooked one for a contest this weekend and it took ALL of the 18 hours that I had alotted, the weather was horribale though.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Skin side down is the only way I've ever done it. Moist, tasty and out of this world good. To get rid of the juice's before picking just cut at the ribs to allow it to drain.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
Cooked one for a contest this weekend and it took ALL of the 18 hours that I had alotted, the weather was horribale though.

How big was the pig?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
How big was the pig?
130 pounds

Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
cottonquick
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I cook them laying (skin down) and on average it is going to be 18 hours for a hog that's 135-145 dressed. That's normally the size I cook. Prepping them is the key getting things done correctly.
cottonquick is offline   Reply With Quote