MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Turtle View Post
I'm good with all that, but riddle me this, caped crusader - today I went to Sam's and purchased a case of Tyson "All Natural" pork butts (67 pounds @ $1.19 per pound). When I got home, I opened the box and found all eight butts had a sticker on the cryo that said "Best used or frozen by 3/07/13". Keep in mind that I purchased them on 3/15/13. I opened two twin packs and rewrapped them separately in double plastic followed by double foil and put in freezer. The other four I am planning on cooking on 3/20/13 and serving to a church group. They smelled fine and looked fine. Should I be worried? Should I freeze all of them and thaw out on Tuesday before cooking on Wednesday? I was planning on keeping the four for Wednesday in the fridge until Tuesday afternoon.
I generally utilize the smell test in that case.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #17
DavidJ
On the road to being a farker

As a prepper I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject and can confirm what everyone has been saying here. First, trust your senses (if you have any! :-) look, smell & taste.... The only thing that's left is to get over the initial hesitation once you're about ready to use the "expired" product.

But after inspecting and you suspect something is wrong, go get another bottle. Better safe than sorry.

David

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinSlowPoke View Post
Texas, meat is a completely different story. I would be headed back to Sam's for a refund or an exchange.
I agree. Sam's advertises a 200% satisfaction for their meats so you should get a double refund. You'll have enough to rebuy the pork for the church and return their money. (I'd open the case before I left the premises, but I'm sure that goes without saying.)

I buy meat regularly at Sam's and watch for meat that gets marked down several days before the eat/freeze by date. Of course now I wonder if that was already factored into your price. I'm not familiar with their case pricing. However if that's the situation, they should have made it clear that you were buying old meat.

That long past the sell by date? I wouldn't touch it if cooking for others.

Back to the OP's question... I recall reading somewhere that for some things that are good more or less indefinitely, the manufacturers go with a one year sell by date just because. That seems likely in the case of BBQ sauce.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I'm taking that meat back to Sam's

Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
I'm taking that meat back to Sam's
What he said. Especially pork products. Not worth the risk if cooking for others. For my own use, the smell and feel test would be a minimum.