MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Default thinking about a small, horizontal offset

Hey gang

I would like try my hand at a offset. I dont know why lol

I dont need anything big. And I do have a small budget for this, I have 3 other smokers as it is. I have modded Bradly (boring) and 2 WSM clones. I might end up selling the Bradley at some point.

While at Lowes looking for other stuff I saw they have a Ok Joe that seems to be built pretty hefty. Its $400, a little more than I want to spend but can live with that. $300 is more in my price range.

The only thing is its too big. Its just the wife and me (we are empty nesters) and only entertain once in a while. I think it would be a waste to do 1 slab of ribs on a cooker this size

All I need is the space to do a few slabs of ribs or 2 butts max with this unit. Usually I just do 1 slab or one butt at a time

So what I am looking for is a small cooker of decent quality that wont set me back too much. I have been looking at used but all I have found is junk, I am in no hurry with this so I can just keep looking

any ideas on a cooker like this?

thanks
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

I'd go Akorn. Not an offset. But, i think it would fit your needs better

Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumJEFF View Post
I'd go Akorn. Not an offset. But, i think it would fit your needs better
why is that?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

They're about 18.5 diameter. So, enough for a couple buts or slabs of ribs. They're insulated so they don't use much fuel and you can really crank the heat. That adds versatility to your "fleet". They make great pizzas. And, they're about $300

Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
They're about 18.5 diameter. So, enough for a couple buts or slabs of ribs. They're insulated so they don't use much fuel and you can really crank the heat. That adds versatility to your "fleet". They make great pizzas. And, they're about $300
thats what my WSM clones are for.

I can do pizza on my Weber kettle

Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

$300-400 isn't much for an offset. The OK Joe is probably your best bet for a new smoker in that range. If you're not in a hurry watch Craig's List for a while and you might find a deal on a used one that is better quality.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

Check this out. http://www.huntingdoncocustoms.com/hccmiofrefls.html
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Then you're good to go. No new pit needed

Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Unfortunately an offset for that price is not going to be of great quality. This is made by charbroil and I believe they are made in China now. I would surmise that the emphasis on quality has been lost, but that's my personal opinion.

Most well built offsets will be larger and will probably use reverse-flow in an effort to keep the cooking chamber more evenly heated and a more uniform application of smoke.

Check Craig's List for used offsets, that way you will not feel disappointed because of what you spent on a cheap offset. However some of these can be modified to perform very well if you have the time and ability to do the work on the smoker.

Bottom line is search and look at what a good horizontal smoker is priced at, then compare it to the Charbroil OK Joe. You will see that you get what you pay for.

Try building a UDS if the budget and you space is limited. Surprisingly enough these produce some great BBQ food items.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Then you're good to go. No new pit needed
You dont understand

I want something different, something that requires a little more effort. What I have is pretty much "set and forget"

thanks

Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbj View Post
$399???

thats gotta be a mistake

Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
N2Q
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
$399???

thats gotta be a mistake
Read closer

Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

Look at the pictures. It is sitting on a patio table. The gas tank is one of those coleman camp stove bottles. The smoking chamber is 6"x13"
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbj View Post
Look at the pictures. It is sitting on a patio table. The gas tank is one of those coleman camp stove bottles. The smoking chamber is 6"x13"
oh I see now.. LOL kinda neat really

Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Unfortunately an offset for that price is not going to be of great quality. This is made by charbroil and I believe they are made in China now. I would surmise that the emphasis on quality has been lost, but that's my personal opinion.

Most well built offsets will be larger and will probably use reverse-flow in an effort to keep the cooking chamber more evenly heated and a more uniform application of smoke.

Check Craig's List for used offsets, that way you will not feel disappointed because of what you spent on a cheap offset. However some of these can be modified to perform very well if you have the time and ability to do the work on the smoker.

Bottom line is search and look at what a good horizontal smoker is priced at, then compare it to the Charbroil OK Joe. You will see that you get what you pay for.

Try building a UDS if the budget and you space is limited. Surprisingly enough these produce some great BBQ food items.

actually just because its made in China doesnt mean anything anymore. Some Weber stuff is made in China. My 2 WSM clones are made in China, they are very nice cookers.

I did not look real close at the OK, just because its too big for me

I think the best thing is just to stay away from the grill dept when I visit Lowes LOL

I will just keep an eye on CL and see if anything pops up.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that I was not aware of

thanks