BBQ Brethren "Cook It Like Cowgirl" Throwdown!

That is some seriously amazing looking lasagna, Chris! I'll take two servings, please. :clap2:

Please accept my humble homage to Cowgirl with my official entry. I decided to keep it simple and recreate Cowgirls pepper stuffed bacon wrapped brat sammie. The usual suspects.

prep.jpg

Cowgirl used jalapeno peppers but I went a little milder on mine... OK who am I kidding I went way milder with bell pepper. Here they are on the Milton @ 300*.

onthemilton.jpg

After about 45-60 minutes I started some onions.

onions.jpg

Then some sauerkraut.

kraut.jpg

And on a hoagie roll with some mustard.

plated2.jpg

plated1.jpg

These were so good next time I will try them with jalapenos soaked overnight in sprite. Thanks for all your posts and inspiration Cowgirl I hope I did you brats justice. :thumb:

Wow, this is a great TD. I wish I had seen it earlier. If only I had some photos of some foot cooked up while camping...

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

Then again, to be fair, those were taken a couple weeks ago so they wouldn't qualify anyway.

The entries I have seen so far look fantastic and really fit the Cook it like Cowgirl theme. Well done all :thumb:

I was gone all week, but had to enter something because Cowgirl is one of my BBQ heroes. I know she can make anything taste wonderful, even whatever is left in the fridge and freezer. We were ready for a late-night snack and lined a plate with corn chips.

IMG_5911.jpg

Covered this with some pulled beef chuck with peppers that was in the freezer:

IMG_5912.jpg

Added some sliced tomatoes:

IMG_5913.jpg

and sharp cheddar cheese:

IMG_5914.jpg

and some smoked red peppers:

IMG_5915.jpg

Gave it a good melt in the microwave, which I doubt Jeanie even owns:

IMG_5916.jpg

and gave it a couple toppings. We ate this outside enjoying the fire:

IMG_5920a.jpg

Please accept this entry as my humble Tribute to Cowgirl!

Godda light some maple on fire and let it burn down to coals!

20120915_170603.jpg

20120915_175502.jpg

Of course Jeanie would be trying out some new fangled thingy that a fellow brethren had sent to her - Here I am using AusPit's new Heat Accelerator loop to hold the foil in place above the chicken to hold heat and smoke closer to the meat - and it worked awesome! Especially on my windy hill!! :thumb: Thank you Brother Jonny Rotisserie!! :biggrin1::clap2: ...got some corn & a nekkid fatty there too!

20120915_183438.jpg

Yup, it was so hot that I had to keep the chicken that far away to keep it from scorching

20120915_185516.jpg

Pulled the fatty off when it was done - for some reason I thought Jeanie would stop to take an obscure pic like this one... :noidea:

20120915_193055-1.jpg

While the chicken was finishing up I grabbed some flour and whipped up some buttermilk biscuits

20120915_190539.jpg

It seems to me that Cowgirl never misses the opportunity to turn 1 meal into 2 or more meals, so half of the biscuit dough got a little over 1/2 of the fatty crumbled up and folded into it to make sausage biscuits & sausage gravy in the morning...

20120915_195526.jpg

Into the hot box for 12 min

20120915_195948.jpg

20120915_201714.jpg

Once the corn had gotten hot, I shucked it (definitely a word CG would use right there...) and wrapped it in bacon, cuz that's what CG would do!

Only hers woulda turned out better cuz she would have remembered that she was out of toothpicks and grabbed more (or whittled more!)

But the corn and chicken finished up right about the same time so all was good!

20120915_201426.jpg

Plated pic

20120915_202527.jpg

Cute kid crutch! Just how Jeanie would eat her corn I'm sure! :wink:

20120915_204950.jpg

Oops!! Forgot the fruit!! Jeanie's always godda have fruit! :mrgreen:

Please use this pic!

20120915_202841.jpg

Not that it counts for this entry, but here's a shot of breakfast this morning with those biscuits and gravy... :icon_smile_tongue:

20120916_105822.jpg

And of course CG would always thank you for lookin', so,

Thanks for lookin'! :becky:

Attn Fleet Admiral - This is My TD Entry

Cowgirl is surely one of my favorite Brethren of all time. She is so resourceful, and finds many new ways of cooking food with fire and smoke that I often wonder "Why didn't I think of that"?

I decided to create my own tribute to Cowgirl by incorporating some of her favorite ingredients into a finished meal that I think captures the essence of her fine culinary skills.

First, I started out with some Rock Cornish game hens, (Cowgirl likes small birds) which we brined for about 2 hours in a mixture of water, brown sugar, Kosher salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, and tangerine peels:

DSC_1646.jpg

When we removed the bird from the brine, we let them air dry over a rack. We then put my special Moose Chicken Rub #2 on the birds, along with some seasoned pepper:

DSC_1649.jpg

Meanwhile, The Missus whipped up a batch of of tatoes seasoned with garlic, sea salt, and fresh rosemary from the garden:

DSC_1648.jpg

We then put the birds on the spit to slowly spin into crispy skin goodness:

DSC_1653.jpg

When everything was ready, we plated up, and this is how it looked:

DSC_1657.jpg

Thanks for checking out my meal for Cowgirl!

Great lookin' posts all over the place here! Cheesh, why didn't someone let me know this was this (now last) week's theme? I would have definitely taken time out of wandering the corn fields of Iowa and Nebraska to pay fitting tribute to the culinary icon CowGirl.

--Jonny Rotisserie

Back