MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #31
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

very cool! i'm anxious to see how your water coil works for you as I am designing one to go on the trailer build I am assembling now. Where did you place it?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #32
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey View Post
very cool! i'm anxious to see how your water coil works for you as I am designing one to go on the trailer build I am assembling now. Where did you place it?
I actually hung it from the bottom of our smoke baffle. I wrapped the copper around our exhaust pipe (6") to form the coil. It is situated so that the smoke can blow through the "hole" in the middle of the water coil. I plan on putting a ball valve on the inlet side so that I can shutoff the water to the coil if it is not being used for awhile. I also plan on putting a tee on the outlet side with a T&P valve from a water heater in the end of the tee for safety(the T&P would open on either 210 degrees or 30 PSI). The tee side of the tee would go to my hot water side of the faucet. I am very anxious to see how it works as well and will keep you posted!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #33
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Just to put in my .02 on something that I know almost nothing about, Have you thought about steam?

I once built a home heating system with sort of a coil in the fire place. It blew up the first time I used it.

Seriously, you can get hurt. My solution was to have the water circulating constantly, and used a 80 gallon storage tank with a relief valve so the water didn't get too hot. Worked perfectly after that mod.

Nice build, good luck.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #34
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

My build for the heat exchanger is actually significantly simpler in that I won't need a blow off valve or expansion tank. It could be installed in any pit with a stack and be installed anytime.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #35
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Just a thought about this picture - Have you thought about some kind of fold-down piece of steel reinforced with some L bar steel to serve as a platform for you to stand on while you are working the meat on the smoker? It would extend over the side of your trailer, but would make it a little safer for you to work. You could fold it/stand it up for transport.

The only rub would be the wheel in the middle. Just a thought. :)
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #36
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

Just thought I would update you guys on the progress...been so busy this year competing & starting a local BBQ Association!

So in our first sanctioned competition (Smokin' The Coeur d'Alenes - June 2010, Coeur d'Alene, ID - PNWBA) we placed 12th overall out of 29 teams. Our best score was Pork Butt (7th place). We didn't walk, but we learned a GREAT DEAL about competing!! We have done about 5 cooks this first year of competition and I believe we will see some major leaps and bounds in our progress this next season.

As for the smoker.....it works better than I could have ever hoped and alot of the credit for some of the design math goes to the Brethren (couldn't have done it without you). The tap handle doesn't get hot enough to worry about (even after smoking for 2 days straight). I ended up building a start assist fueled by propane to get the wood going (Didn't want to use a weed burner like others) and even put an electronic ignition system on it. Wood consumption is average for a stick burner of this size. I am working on a homebrew stoker that will allow me to wirelessly monitor my meat temps and smoker temps and cycle the stoker fan on and off to maintain temperature and all be done wirelessly to my laptop or phone. The stoker controller has a built in webserver and can also send my messages by Twitter or Text. Will let you know how that goes. (just trying to improve efficiency of my smoker).

We DID end up adding a swing out grill behind the pit. It is made of a 35 gallon well expansion tank (to keep up the theme). I put charcoal and wood in it and use it as a pseudo Santa Maria. I am working on the frame for the sink cabinet right now (smoker is in storage for the winter) and will be adding a double sink with faucet and a small (24"x24") countertop area to the right of the sinks (This will also double as the cover for my small refrigerator. I am going to add a water storage tank under the sink and a gray water tank under the trailer (for the drain).

I decided not to use the hot water coil I built into the pit as I would still need a storage tank and a circulating pump on the trailer and space is limited. Eccotemp.com has a tankless water heater (Model L5) that costs $117 on Amazon with free shipping and runs on Propane, comes with hose and regulator, heats water from 80 to 150 degrees and runs up to 18 hours continuously on on BBQ propane tank. The water connections are standard 1/2" Plumbing connectors and it even comes with a hand held shower head. Ignition is taken care of by 2 "D" size batteries and only occurs when there is a demand for hot water. I am going to mount this to the side of my sink cabinet that faces the rear.

I will post some new pics soon as the trailer has been painted several times already (one guy at a comp. said, "Do you paint that rig for every competition?" I just smiled and said, "Why YES I DO!"). We have also painted our logo on the smoker door. I plan on adding frenched tail lights with diamond plate flame cutouts and airbrushing some flames down the sides of the trailer. I am also going to have my logo laser cut out of diamond plate with 1" Standoffs so I can mount it to the rear of the pit (So everyone knows who is in front of them while underway).
We have had many requests to build a pit "exactly" like this one, but so far nobody has come up with the money yet!!

Anyways, thanks again to all the GREAT BRETHREN on this site! Couldn't have done it without you. Hope to see you on the trail......JayBirde

Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #37
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

I can't wait to see more pics, pretty cool build.
LTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #38
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Very nice indeed, can't wait for the updated pics!
Homebrewed Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #39
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Lookin good!

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #40
Hotrodhog
Full Fledged Farker

In case anyone is interested, I have two of those tanks in very good condition, (they were for new product oil) I'd be willing to sell one if someone in Norcal wants one. I have a 120 gallon and a 240 gallon.
Hotrodhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #41
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If only I wasn't so far away. :(

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #42
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Great build, I bet it is very satisfying to be able to compete on a pit you fabricated yourself
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #43
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice lookin' build! I hope to see more of it in action this year at some PNWBA comps...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #44
bmarley5780
On the road to being a farker

pics!
bmarley5780 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #45
forrest2906
On the road to being a farker

Can't wait to see this one done!
forrest2906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags