MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #16
PFSmith
Got Wood.

I think the older, BBQ Kettle Webers used the intent - the current model Smokey Joe's and the Smokey Joe Platinum model also used an indent. Weber did make kettles for sale under the Sears name and maybe others. This grill, I would say, definitely was manufactured by Weber even if it wasn't sold under the Weber name. I have one just like it, and about the same age. The restoration hints - sand and touch up only the chipped and rusted portions, drill out the rusted rivets and re-use the vents, etc. - are dead on. You may have to drill and machine screw or nut and bolt the handle on top - mine is weak there as well and I'll probably do that procedure the next time I'm at the lake where the grill lives. Good luck and have a blast doing the restore and then cooking on the grill. They are amazing creations with incredible longevity.

Pat

Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Harbormaster - thanks yet again. If its okay I may reach out for input along the way.

scottfry11 - lets hope that we both have a "find".
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i think the early webers had that indent. as to the wheels i always take them off and get the junk off with cleaners and then finish them off with the 0000 steel wool. i kinda get anal about it. i even clean up, finish and almost polish up the ash catcher. i always treat the raw aluminum with a very light treatment of pam. seems to be holding up so far. i treated one of my kettle legs with a high temp clear paint. i'll see how that comes out as time goes by.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #19
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Guys - again, thanks for all the GREAT info and friendly assistance. Anyone have opinion on paint? I see that Swamprb uses Dupli-Color Engine paint with Ceramic. Anyone know if this is what should be used or if it is just was what he picked up? Want to get the right stuff.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #20
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

PFSmith - Just out of curiosity, you stress touching up just those parts that are in need of repair; I am assuming this is because there is trouble getting paint to adhere to the entire grill? Painting all of it would provide a more consitant look but I am betting you have reasons for only doing touch ups & would love to hear what you have already learned on this subject. Thanks again!

Old 08-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I finally had time to spend working on my little project. The grill is now in seperate pieces and ready for cleaning. I also ran out this morning and bought the needed bolts, washers, nuts and screws in stainless so my parts are all ready to go when I am ready for them. Hopefully tomorrow time will allow me to clean all the pieces and if I am REALLY lucky maybe even start sanding the kettle.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #22
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

I certainly underestimated the time it would take to properly clean the kettle. I spent about 2 hours on the bottom half of the kettle but finally have it all down to smooth porcelain except where there is rust. The legs gave me some grief when disassembling but a little WD40 loosened them up for me.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #23
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

The entire kettle; top and bottom; are now completely cleaned. The bottom is masked off and ready for paint. I thought I'd see how the bottom goes (less visable) before trying to paint the lid. The handles and vents haven't been touched yet. I am hoping that I can get this up and going by Labor Day weekend. What a better day than Labor Day weekend to be able to inaugurate the restored Weber.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #24
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Default Update

Bottom is painted but still masked and top is masked but not yet painted. I am using Rustoleum Engine Enamel. I was going to use Rustoleum Hign Heat but couldn't find it in gloss black so I went with the Engine Enamel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grill Bottom.jpg (75.8 KB, 662 views)
File Type: jpg Grill Top.jpg (48.2 KB, 659 views)

Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #25
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Both sets of handles have been sanded; and sanded; and sanded; and sanded...but they turned out nice. I have the first coat of a satin poly on them now. The photo was taken when I was half way through the handles. I thought it gave a good representation of a before and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weber Handles.jpg (35.9 KB, 644 views)

Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #26
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Looking good, can't wait to see the finished grill

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #27
420 Reasons to Eat
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

How do you date your weber?

I have an old wood handled black weber, I would love to find the date on it. It was passed on to me about 8 years ago and still works like a champ.
420 Reasons to Eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #28
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

There is a letter stamped on the vents; somewhere in the forums was a link to the weber page that contained that info. I'll see if I can find it for you and send it along to you.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #29
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just finished restoring my 1995 Red (discontinued in 1997) 22.5 kettle. I didn't have much rust on the kettle, so I did not repaint that part. Instead, I used a professional sander/polisher with a polishing pad and some Megquar's fine cut polish. It came out nice.

The original finish on Weber Kettle's is porcelain, not paint, so I would try to avoid painting, if possible.

I took the wooden handles off, filled any cracks with wood glue, clamped them, and when the glue dried, sanded them and then used a deck stain on them.

The aluminum legs cleaned up with some metal polish. The steel triangle at the bottom got wire-brushed and painted silver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC8156a.jpg (84.3 KB, 623 views)
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

caseydog - thanks for the info, much appreciated. Nice job on the '95 Red Kettle!

Tags
Kettle restoration, restoration, Weber, Weber restoration