Frist BGE cook for a crowd

S

schellter

On Sunday I would like to have my extended family over to celebrate my birthday and my son's BD. I want to serve both pork and beef and my idea is to start a pork but Saturday night, take it off Sunday morning and hold it in a cooler. Then after they get here I would cook a Tri Tip on the egg, pull the pork while the tri tip is resting and then slice the Tri and serve with beans and slaw.

What is the feasibility of cooking the Tri Tip after the pork butt comes off? Might I run into a problem with not having enough lump charcoal left in the egg? Any other possible problems I am missing? As an alternative I could always do the Tri Tip on my gasser but I would really like to use the egg for both.

Thanks,
Larry

If you can hold 350 degrees for about 45 minutes in the egg then then tritip will make it. I wouldn't grill it like a steak they tend to come out a little tough. I like to go indirect at 350-375 for 45 mins for medium rare. YMMV.

P.S. Happy birthday!

I don't have an egg, just wanted to say happy B-day. Do you have the same B-day? Me and my mom, and my dad's brother all share a B-day.

Time it so the pork is done 2 hours before the meal. The egg will take like 5-min to jump up in temp. Holding meat in the cooler is great, just not all morning. Say a few hours.
Fill the egg up to the fire ring and you will have enoug in there to cook a few more times, not just this once. I kept the egg going with my stoker for 29 hours once.
IMO, I would smoke the tri-tip and do a reverse sear. Smoke it for a few hours after the pork is done, then sear it either in a pan on the stove or on a grill, unless you brave taking the egg apart.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you and your son. I don't have an Egg yet so I really can't comment.

:mrgreen:
On Sunday I would like to have my extended family over to celebrate my birthday and my son's BD.
Thanks,
Larry

Larry, what time should we be there. We ARE your extended family, riiiiiight?:rolleyes: Heck from Long Beach I am freeway close...405 710, just let me know!:wink:

Also what JiveTurkey said, about 45 minutes should do it. I always put on some potatoes on with my TriTip, same time. But I will show you when I show up. Gotta love family:cool:

:mrgreen:

Larry, what time should we be there. We ARE your extended family, riiiiiight?:rolleyes: Heck from Long Beach I am freeway close...405 710, just let me know!:wink:

Also what JiveTurkey said, about 45 minutes should do it. I always put on some potatoes on with my TriTip, same time. But I will show you when I show up. Gotta love family:cool:

We're in WLA near 405 and 10 but the rest of the family is coming from LB, Seal Beach, Downey, Irvine and San Diego.

My son's BD is the day before mine.

Thanks to all.

Looks like you've got a good handle on it. I am assuming you have the plate setter to do indirect on the butt. Get yourself some welders gloves to remove the plate setter after the butt is done and you can add more charcoal if needed then.

Paul

If you have access to a food saver, vaccuum sealer, then do the butt(s) earlier. When the butts come off the egg, pull, add a little sauce, cool in fridge and vaccuum seal. then use a pot of boiling water to reheat. reheating takes about 20 minutes. after reheating sprinkle rub and more sauce. You'll be surprised how good the butt tastes.

This way you won't worry about timing everything to fit a schedule, butt runs long or fast no big deal. Tri tip is a sear and taken to medium rare, slice against the grain in thin strips.

Sounds like a nice B-party. t

The butts usually have a 12-14 hour cook time @250. I start mine at about 7:30pm and I get them up to 190ish after about 8:30 the next morning & then place them into a cooler with towels/blanket around them. I check them 2 times thru the night and use my wiggle rod to make sure I have good airflow and after all is said & done still have enough coals to do whatever I need to do.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. But, I need to tag another question on here. I intended to get one 8# butt but all Costco had was a cryo pack of two butts total weight 12#. So my question is will two 6# butts cooked side by side take somewhere around 12-14 hours at 220-250* or will cooking both together make the cook time considerably longer?

thanks

The avg time is 2.5hrs per pound of the largest, if cooking more than one. As always, your time may vary. Since they are seperate chunks, the cook time will depend on that. Just make sure both butts are about the same size/weight.

I've just added more lump after I pull the first item (Usually switching the setup anyway - indirect to direct in your case) Let it burn for a few while it's coming up to temp. Never had a problem, and no worries about running out of fuel.

Where do you buy welder's gloves and will anything else work for removing the plate setter?

Where do you buy welder's gloves and will anything else work for removing the plate setter?

i use orka gloves from bed, bath, & beyond, but tuesday morning has them sometime also.

turkeywings-024.jpg

The plate setter is going to be under 250* when I take it out, oven mitts should handle that temp OK no? I can understand that special care would be needed if I had the oven at 650*+ but 250* isn't that hot.

I just figured out my electric oven will work as low as 170*, if it works out that I need to hold the pork butt in the cooler longer than a few hours would the oven at 170* work OK?

Larry

Back