MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Brophy320
Found some matches.

Default Bbq area

Hey all.

I need some oppinions please.

So i am moving into a new house soon and plan to want to use my UDS A lot............hence the issue i am over the pond in the uk and we dont get lots of good weather.

I plan to build an enclosure for both the uds and a plancher, i have a basic build plan but i want any sugestions on things i need to add into my designs or any issues with what i have got so far.

So the plan is to make the bottom half from brick with two doors, one in front of uds that will open too left and one in front of plancha which will be hinged at top so when open will make a worksurface. the gas bottle stored will be stored underneath the plancha. The two areas seperated by brick. Both doors will be locable.

The top half will be made of wood with a sloped roof aprox 7ft high at front and 5ft 6 at back sealed on all sides bar front.

The front would have a door hinged at top with a gas strut on each side so when shut everything is stored safe and dry away from elements and animals but when open will keep me, my chair and my beer dry.

Above the hinged door and below the roof will be vents that can be opened to allow the smoke exausted from uds to get out of the enclosure.

Im not the most computer literate but will see if i can find a program to draw and post the pic. Ive done this in an oldfasione pencil and paper but i cant post that....lol

All comments appreciated and please tell me if the wood is a soft idea as i have been racking my brain as to whether the uds will get to hot but as its not finnised yet so ive not used it yet.
Brophy320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds like a Texas style man cave to me! LOL! The plan sounds great and the only thing that I thought about was maybe a fan that can help move the smoke out of the structure. If the wind isn't blowing right you may not get the ventilation that you need and a ceiling mounted fan blowing directly out of the vent space would ensure that there is no carbon monoxide overdoses! LOL! I'll tell ya what, ice down some beer and I just might come out there and help you build your little slice of heaven, us Texans will go anywhere and do almost anything for a beer! Newcastle Nut Brown Ale is one of my favorite brews from the UK, just let me know when it's cold!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
letdasmokeroll
Full Fledged Farker

lol i just called a friend of mine to help build a outside man cave ...i have a cement slab 20x12 all i need is the framing and roof i can do the rest ...in the back corner i wanna make a cinder block pit just to play with
letdasmokeroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Brophy320
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Sounds like a Texas style man cave to me! LOL! The plan sounds great and the only thing that I thought about was maybe a fan that can help move the smoke out of the structure. If the wind isn't blowing right you may not get the ventilation that you need and a ceiling mounted fan blowing directly out of the vent space would ensure that there is no carbon monoxide overdoses! LOL! I'll tell ya what, ice down some beer and I just might come out there and help you build your little slice of heaven, us Texans will go anywhere and do almost anything for a beer! Newcastle Nut Brown Ale is one of my favorite brews from the UK, just let me know when it's cold!
COLD!!!!! Lol

So you dont think the wood top half will be an issue?
Brophy320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophy320 View Post
COLD!!!!! Lol

So you dont think the wood top half will be an issue?
I don't think that the roof would be an issue,... as long as you don't cook TOO high and fast!!! A hmmm!...Seriously though, I would probably just make sure and use a water pan as a diffuser even if you decide not to use water in it. It may mean the difference between having a grease fire or not and that would be the only threat to your wood roof I would think,.... barring a sudden V-2 rocket attack or something! And yes COLD! I know that you guys like your beer closer to room temperature but it's over a hundred degrees F here in central Texas and we like our beer cold brotha!!! It's alright though if you don't want to ice down your beer, I would probably have a rough time making it over there anyhow. My pickup truck performs miracles and gets me home safely every day but navigating the Atlantic might get a little tricky!!!