MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #31
egorham
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Malcom Reed's free videos will get you in the ballpark too.
Use the free videos then spend the $700 on meat. I am using California prices, which I know are much higher than Georgia, but you could practice cook with the following meats for $700:

6 briskets (6 x $60) - Costco Prime (you could swap to 2 Wagyus but I wouldn't for practice)
12 racks of ribs (12 x $10)
10 butts (10 x $15)
35 thighs (35 x $2)

If you cook all of that meat you will understand far more about your own process than you can get from a video. I wouldn't shoot for perfect in your early practice cooks. Push the envelope on cook time (overcook the meat then start to dial back until you get perfect tenderness). The bonus is you will have a year's worth of dinner when you are done.
egorham is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #32
mbigtoe
Knows what a fatty is.

I think you can definitely learn tenderness basics and the process top pitmasters use to get that tenderness from a class or video, but from my limited experience in competition BBQ it seems like actually nailing tenderness comes from just doing it over and over and over again until you get it right and continue to get it right. There's a reason why the top guys are the top guys, and that's because they compete week in and week out. No class, whether it's a video or in-person can replicate that tenderness consistency that comes from competing 20 - 50 times a year.

I was actually ready to throw in the towel on comp BBQ, but a good friend's wife bought him a comp class for Christmas and my wife decided to get me out of the house for a weekend and bought the class for me too. We partnered up after the class in March and we've done four comps since then. We've walked seven times in those four comps with 2 top 5's overall (all IBCA).

So just from my experience with a class, I would say that a class can definitely give you the knowledge and principles needed to do well. It's up to each individual, though, to apply that knowledge on actual cooks. It takes a lot of work to convert that knowledge to actual cooks and some people just won't be willing to do the work. Before taking any class, you need to commit that you will be willing to put in the work to master the principles you learn from the class. That was actually my biggest take away from the class - I was not working nearly hard enough to be successful. In fact, it kind of blew my mind how much work is actually required to be successful in competition BBQ.

Sorry for the rambling post.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #33
sroppolo
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Shawna Roppolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
I'm curious about the steak classes. I have struggled in the 2 SCA comps that I've done, but I've got 1 or 2 more this year, and plan to do more next year. I enjoy them, but am really struggling. Being that there's no SCA classes in this area yet, I'm wondering if this would get me headed in the right direction.
Hey! This is Shawna Roppolo - I have one of the steak videos for sale on BBQ Champs Academy. I am very active in SCA and have cooked the circuit since 2015. If you are struggling my videos would be an awesome boost and help with your cooking. If you purchase the all-access which includes pork chops, you will have access to a private facebook page which allows you to talk to me directly and ask questions and bounce ideas. Let me know if you have any questions!
sroppolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #34
Burnt at Both Endz
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroppolo View Post
Hey! This is Shawna Roppolo - I have one of the steak videos for sale on BBQ Champs Academy. I am very active in SCA and have cooked the circuit since 2015. If you are struggling my videos would be an awesome boost and help with your cooking. If you purchase the all-access which includes pork chops, you will have access to a private facebook page which allows you to talk to me directly and ask questions and bounce ideas. Let me know if you have any questions!
Or you could be a brethren like so many of us and send him a PM to help?....or you could use our site for "your" self promotion?
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #35
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
Or you could be a brethren like so many of us and send him a PM to help?....or you could use our site for "your" self promotion?
I have no dog in the hunt, but Isn’t this thread asking about the video series? It seems an appropriate place to promote them.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #36
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
I see lots of teams promoting their classes on here. Why is this one any different?

Someone comes on asking questions about a specific class, and not one but three of the teams featured in said class comes on to answer questions directly. That seems pretty cool to me.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #37
Q-aholic
Got rid of the matchlight.

A couple of other great online options that's a little less pricey.

The Kosmos Q Club has a ton of great information and videos for $117 for 3 months.
https://www.kosmosqclub.com

I have only made it though about 25% of the BBQ Stars videos so far but it's defiantly worth $297.
https://www.bbqstars.com/
Q-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #38
bigD1968

Default Bbq champs academy

I purchased Corey Mikes tell all class back in June. I’ve competed in 3 competition since then with a total bring home of $1900. With my last bring home a grand championship. My only wish is that BBQ CHAMPS ACADEMY would have been available last year when I first started competing.
bigD1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #39
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigD1968 View Post
I purchased Corey Mikes tell all class back in June. I’ve competed in 3 competition since then with a total bring home of $1900. With my last bring home a grand championship. My only wish is that BBQ CHAMPS ACADEMY would have been available last year when I first started competing.
What is the team name you compete under?

Old 09-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #40
in6seczone
Found some matches.

It is posted on BBQ Champs Academy Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/bbqchampsac...dmin_todo_tour

There are several reviews from people that have taken the classes from BBQ Champs Academy listed here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/bbqchamp...=page_internal
in6seczone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2019, 07:03 PM   #41
bigD1968

Default Team Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap0510 View Post
What is the team name you compete under?
Sorry I forgot to tell you my team name. REAL SMOKE BBQ This is my second year of competition. Pretty much had my ass handed to all last year. Had a total take home last year of $550. Out of 8 compitition I’ve done 3 this season with $1900 in the bank.

Last edited by bigD1968; 09-25-2019 at 08:52 PM..
bigD1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->