MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #31
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
The CEO is Heath Hall.
This Heath Hall?
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...rge/336640002/
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #32
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post

No
This Heath Hall

https://www.nbbqa.org/members/heath-hall
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #33
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

The mp3s of the meetings are now available in the Members Area. Go to Resources>File Archive>Meeting Minutes .

When I have time I try to listen. It can help provide some context that isn't always clear in the written minutes. Over the years there have been a few winners;)

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #34
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
The mp3s of the meetings are now available in the Members Area. Go to Resources>File Archive>Meeting Minutes .

Is it just me getting old, or are the recordings virtually impossible to listen to? I had my volume cranked to 100, and was still barely able to discern any of the audio

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #35
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
Is it just me getting old, or are the recordings virtually impossible to listen to? I had my volume cranked to 100, and was still barely able to discern any of the audio
Not just you. The first meeting of the board is in Kansas City, and members are encouraged to attend. The gizmo in the center of the table didn't do a great job of picking everything up. The sound was better on day two. I'd expect subsequent meetings to be better, with the exception of those that forget to mute their phones.

On the other hand, if someone forgets, someone else drops a bomb...you might hear someone mutter "Oh, fark!" under their breath. Those meetings really can be like a box of chocolates

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #36
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I liked it better when you would hear snoring....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #37
Jorge

For members that have an interest in numbers, the election certification document might be of interest.

First, there was no evidence of Russian influence detected.

Second, the number of eligible voters is interesting for a couple of reasons. I'm not sure why the number of eligible voters is based on member data from 1/17/18? Domestic membership is listed as 15601, with international being 1777. From a high, based on my memory, of around 20k a few years ago that's a significant drop.

So that nobody misunderstands; I'm not discounting international members. This is just the first time I've seen a document that breaks down where membership is coming from. To compare apples to apples, international members need to be excluded to see what has occurred with domestic membership.

EDIT: The number of international members is actually 1652, with a third group from unknown location(s) of 870 members.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Last edited by Jorge; 02-28-2019 at 05:32 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #38
Jousting Pigs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Big John

But it was the best year ever for KCBS marketing...
Jousting Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #39
Jorge

There was a pretty interesting exchange during the last meeting about the use of free memberships to drive up the membership numbers for marketing purposes.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 02-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #40
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Domestic membership is listed as 15601, with international being 1777. From a high, based on my memory, of around 20k a few years ago that's a significant drop.
Does that number include life members?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #41
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Does that number include life members?
I made an error while posting pulling info from a spreadsheet I created (I subbed the number of domestic members voting for international members). Domestic membership is 15601, international is 1652, and at the top of the list on the certification document is a blank location reflecting 870 members? That's a membership of 18,123 as of 1/17/18.

I'd suspect that lifetime members would be reflected within those numbers, and included in the total for their respective countries.

The document has a link on the front page of the KCBS site. A member account is required to view it.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 03-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #42
Robert
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
There was a pretty interesting exchange during the last meeting about the use of free memberships to drive up the membership numbers for marketing purposes.

A professional non-profit that I belong to did the free membership trial a few years ago as a means of dealing with declining membership. The free members were able to reap the discounts that vendor/sponsors gave to dues paying members. At the end of their free trial membership, less than 3% chose to become dues paying members. Membership continued to decline even while the free members were added. The problem mainly lies in the fact that younger generations do not join in the numbers that older folks did.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #43
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
A professional non-profit that I belong to did the free membership trial a few years ago as a means of dealing with declining membership. The free members were able to reap the discounts that vendor/sponsors gave to dues paying members. At the end of their free trial membership, less than 3% chose to become dues paying members. Membership continued to decline even while the free members were added. The problem mainly lies in the fact that younger generations do not join in the numbers that older folks did.

Robert
Pretty much this. Free stuff only begets requests for more free stuff.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #44
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Robert
The discounts need to have some serious value to get someone to pay for a membership. Gone are the pre-internet days when you didn't have access to so many things.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #45
ModelMaker
Babbling Farker

Being that it's still winter, also I'm bored and still looking around the new web platform (wondering why stuff is where it is, not where it was?) I found myself reading the KCBS Bylaws and from time to time see mentions of salaries or cash paid for this or that or him or her and yet have found any viewable record of who gets a salary or what payments go to whomever.
I see at the top of each monthly BOD meeting somebody offers financial report, somebody 2nd's it, and boom it's passed. Does KCBS have this information available to all of its members to parous ?
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote