MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #316
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott

Where is the download on the site?

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #317
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan BBQ Fan View Post
Where is the download on the site?
In the member section with the minutes. If you sort by date it should be at the top or near the top.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #318
Jorge

Agenda posted. There is some interesting stuff in there this month.

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17501

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #319
Jorge

...and the minutes are available. My biggest take-away is that they are looking at moving to a 9 member board, which the Bylaws allow. I'm strongly in favor since it appears that more responsibility is being moved to the CEO. Discuss, or don't;)

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17503

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #320
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
...and the minutes are available. My biggest take-away is that they are looking at moving to a 9 member board, which the Bylaws allow. I'm strongly in favor since it appears that more responsibility is being moved to the CEO. Discuss, or don't;)

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17503
My biggest takeaway is the BoD is ignoring the pressing issues and focusing on minutia like Judge of the year (Team of the Year is still unresolved) Judge achievement awards (Master Table Captain) and ignoring the fact that membership is down to 17,000 and continues to drop.

To me:

Rules are a big issue: why is the focus on rules the size of the paper the rules are printed on? Where are the rep advisories? Why isn't there a single place on the website where a new team can read all the rules and rep advisories (defacto rules)?

Judging (and rep) consistency and accountability issues (I know I know) but it's STILL an issue.

There are more but I'm almost at what's the point.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #321
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Rules and Rep advisories are both in the members section under resources, file archive.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #322
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
My biggest takeaway is the BoD is ignoring the pressing issues and focusing on minutia like Judge of the year (Team of the Year is still unresolved) Judge achievement awards (Master Table Captain) and ignoring the fact that membership is down to 17,000 and continues to drop.

To me:

Rules are a big issue: why is the focus on rules the size of the paper the rules are printed on? Where are the rep advisories? Why isn't there a single place on the website where a new team can read all the rules and rep advisories (defacto rules)?

Judging (and rep) consistency and accountability issues (I know I know) but it's STILL an issue.

There are more but I'm almost at what's the point.
I don't really disagree much with any of that, but see it slightly differently.

The issues you mention, that are related to the Tech Committee are being worked on. The Rep Advisories were available the last time I looked, but your point about all of the relevant material being readily available in one location makes sense. Just being a worker bee, it's not my place to say much more than that.

I can't speak for the current board, but I know what my experience was like. Instead of being able to focus on the macro view, I seemed to be putting out fires on a regular basis. I learned that KCBS had some fairly significant issues last October. Some of the things I heard were overblown, others probably understated. In fairness I think this has been one of the most productive boards I can remember. I don't agree with everything they've done, but for the most part I think they are taking the necessary steps to make change in the future come faster.

Have you shared your concerns and suggestions directly with the board? Not a shot at you! I read and heard a lot about what the board had done after the fact, but never prior to a meeting after the agenda was posted. Whenever I've emailed the board about an issue they've been responsive. If they aren't doing something you think they need to be, email the board, urge your like minded friends to email the board. Make sure they aren't operating in a vacuum. (I just doused any bridges I may have had in kerosene)

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #323
Serious Hog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Agenda posted. There is some interesting stuff in there this month.

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17501
Interesting about the PRO-AM, but isn't it basically describing what Competitor's Series format already is? I personally like Competitor Series and wish there were more available in our area.

WSM 18.5" X4, WSM 22.5", WSM 14", Weber OTG 22.5", Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Go Anywhere, Char-Griller Outlaw, Char-Griller Pro, Old Smokey, Masterbuilt Elite

Last edited by Serious Hog; 09-24-2019 at 10:45 AM..
Serious Hog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #324
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Rules and Rep advisories are both in the members section under resources, file archive.
Ed
Correct, but if there is a backyard team out there that is thinking about making the jump to KCBS they cannot read the rules on the website without having a paid membership. IMHO the rules should be made available to everyone whether you have a paid membership or not.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #325
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

I like the idea of a Pro-Am series. Sounds like a reduced cost too. I hope they follow through on it. Might give us a chance to compete more.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #326
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I would like to just see them promote the BY comps more. I don't know how the KCBS fee structure works, but maybe make it free to sanction a BY comp if it's at the same time as a Master's series. The comps I've seen that do that, seem to have better BY turn outs, the Master's series doesn't suffer, the organizer gets more people to their events, and some of those BY guys will do a few and then decide to step up.

Once you get out to a comp a couple times, interact with some of the other cooks, etc, most people realize that what starts out a little intimdiating (big rigs, fancy cookers, etc) really isn't. Then some of those guys will decide to do some Master's Series.

Adding a series just to add a series seems like an unlikely solution to the problem.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #327
Jorge

Rules and Rep Advisories are available to the public.

https://mms.kcbs.us/members/secure/f...ac=5826&rpd=GR

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #328
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

This link says i need a member name and password which im assuming id have be a member of KCBS prob = $$$
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #329
Jorge

My bad! I guess I didn't log out before closing the tab, and was still logged in when I opened a new tab and went to the site.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #330
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Hog View Post
Interesting about the PRO-AM, but isn't it basically describing what Competitor's Series format already is? I personally like Competitor Series and wish there were more available in our area.
Not exactly. The Competitor Series came into being to allow organizers some flexibility. Propane contests, no thermostats, pellets only etc. since the existing rules didn't allow those options just as an example. With the Pro-Am model it's about giving cooks the opportunity to cook, without jeopardizing their eligibility to cook in a different class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
I like the idea of a Pro-Am series. Sounds like a reduced cost too. I hope they follow through on it. Might give us a chance to compete more.
The cost would primarily be up to the organizer. KCBS fees would essentially be the same I believe with all things being equal. The cost levied per team stays the same, but additional Reps are required once you go beyond 50 teams. The larger the contest the lower the spend/team, because the sanctioning fee itself is the same regardless of size, but the savings are negligible.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Tags
kcbs