MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Bulldog316
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Cooking large quantities of ribs

I tried looking on older threads so I didn't have to ask but there's tons of threads to go through. Typically I like to use the 3-2-1 method when cooking my ribs but I have a catering request where I'll need to cook about 35 racks of ribs and doubt I'll have enough space on my smoker to do that. My question is did anyone try and cook multiple racks of ribs in a foil covered pan to save space instead of individually wrapping them? How did they turn out? Thanks!
Bulldog316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

No experience with the pan.

When I do large quantities of ribs I don't wrap. I stack them while cooking if I don't have the rack space. Rib racks can help also. I prefer to stack than use racks though. I rotate every 45 minutes or so.

~5 hours @ 275 for St. Louis ribs
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Did an event last year where we cooked 45 slabs on a combo of 3 WSMs and 3 drums. We did wrap, and did them in shifts. However, when we wrapped, we turned down the heat on one of the drums, and stacked them inside, rotating every half hour or so. Then the other 5 cookers got batch 2, and when the wrapped ones were done they went into a cambro until we were ready to slice and serve. It worked pretty decently.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
keeperofsecrets
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ringo

I did about that many on a horizontal RF and panned rather than wrapped, and the results were not satisfactory. The overall cook time extended by over an hour and I wasn't happy with the smoke ring or bark.

A-1 Competition Smoker
48x48 open wood grill
72x48 open wood grill/smoker/pig roaster
Sam's 8-burner gas Event Grill w/griddle drop-in
Blackstone Range Top Combo Grill
keeperofsecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I use rib racks when I have to but don't really like them. I cook them at 275 for about three hours without wrapping and then put them in pans covered with foil to rest.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #6
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I use turbinado sugar for all pork and dont wrap 275 temp pull when they bend and about break sauce and rest...
Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I cook around 210 racks every year for a huge BBQ and Blues event. I borrow a Ole'Hickory on wheels... :)

Start your first batch early, place in a cambro, or hot hold cabinet. Then get the next batch on ASAP. We smoke everything at 275 for large events.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote